Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    maybe the problem is with the wizard. have you tried to pull the files as if the camera was an external hdd?
    40D 28-135 IS USM, 70-200 f4L IS,, 18-50 f2.8, 430 EX II, Canon S3

“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

“The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance.”

Benjamin Franklin

Arrow

My apologies if I come off as rude - that is not my intent - but I do believe a couple of you should actually read the thread before posting!

Someone else offered the same suggestion earlier, and I noted twice that I tried pulling the files both through "My Computer" as well as the Microsoft Scanner & Camera wizard.

At this point, the files are no longer on my card, as I sucessfully removed them with an independent Dynex card reader. So far as I'm concerned, the case is closed. If the files wouldn't come off the camera with two different USB cables, on three different computers (with two different operating systems), and using two different methods, I'm confident that this is an oversight on Canon's part and not likely to be user error. Particularly considering that griptape reported the same problem with his PowerShot S3 IS.

unata Guest
    exact same problem here with PowerShot SD600 Digital Elph on Windows XP. Large video files do not transfer properly and show up as 0 bytes. Lost a few videos this way.

Here's the deal with that particular camera, the S5 IS (perhaps the same with the SD600, sounds like it). You have to load the software that comes with it, and connect the camera to the computer and simply switch the camera on. At that point, the software will automatically detect the camera and boot up. Within the program, you will be able to access your files and transfer them to the computer. It has to actually convert the video from the camera into something your computer will properly read. Once they're in there, you may have to download a video codec that will read .avi files that are MJPEG to get them to open in an editor such as Sony Vegas. Once you do, the videos are just as clear as any of the MiniDV camcorders I've played with.

Hope this helps.

I was actually hoping to find someone who has found a way to transfer via card reader without the need for the camera. Unfortunately, I believe the camera's software is necessary, and you can't open it unless the camera is connected to the computer.
    Last edited by Spiral Photo; 03-21-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Okay, I'm an idiot. lol

You DO NOT NEED your camera connected unless you don't have any other way of connecting the SDHC card to your computer. You CAN use a card reader; you just have to use the ZOOM BROWSER software that comes with the camera to access them and transfer them properly.

This calls for a new purchase. Another memory card and an SDHC reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Photo View Post
    You CAN use a card reader; you just have to use the ZOOM BROWSER software that comes with the camera to access them and transfer them properly.
    I don't believe this is true for my SD800 or S3. I'll try them again tonight, but I believe I've successfully transfered movies with just a card reader and windows explorer.

Arrow

Totally not true on my Win XP Pro sp2 system. As noted in my previous posts, I was able to sucessfully remove all video files from the camera's SDHC card with the aforementioned Dynex card reader... no special software necessary. Likewise, I can remove all the videos directly from the camera via its internal USB port without the need for any third party software, so long as any individual file is not larger than 1.25 GB (in which case I just use the card reader).
    Last edited by geothrills; 03-21-2008 at 06:06 PM.

It's true for me only for video files above a certain size (can't remember where the cutoff point was). I've never been able to properly transfer videos above a certain size without the use of the software supplied with the camera. Once I began using the included software, the problem disappeared.

Arrow

I see what you're saying. I'm not sure that my camera came with any special software for transferring media, but perhaps I just lost it!

At any rate, I thought you were saying you had to use your ZOOM BROWSER for all video data transfers. I understand now that you are specifying its use for the large video data files which would otherwise not transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by geothrills View Post
    I see what you're saying. I'm not sure that my camera came with any special software for transferring media, but perhaps I just lost it!
    The Zoom Browser should work. There's an option to access files on a memory card.

Quote Originally Posted by geothrills View Post
    At any rate, I thought you were saying you had to use your ZOOM BROWSER for all video data transfers. I understand now that you are specifying its use for the large video data files which would otherwise not transfer.
    Exactly.

Sorry, doesn't look like I specified larger file sizes.
    Last edited by Spiral Photo; 03-21-2008 at 06:13 PM.