Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

S700 filters & lenses

Please help me decide what accessories to get for a S700. I haven't purchased one yet, but when I do (maybe tomorrow), I'm going to want to order a few extra things to attach to the front of it. I've heard that always keeping a filter attached to the front helps protect the lens.

I'm interested in macro lenses and filters, particularly polarizing filters, and possibly a sun shield and telephoto lens. I saw a circular polarizing filter that could be rotated as needed. Do these things also help cut down on glare when shooting thru glass? Will I also need to buy a new cap to fit the filter, or will the regular lens cap still fit onto filters and 46mm lenses?

What are some good options, and some cheap options? I've read that I should be looking for 46mm accessories, but I need your help finding out which brands and models I should be looking at. If you don't mind, please post what I should expect to pay. Thanks y'all!

Leaftye Filter etc query

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Please help me decide what accessories to get for a S700. I haven't purchased one yet, but when I do (maybe tomorrow), I'm going to want to order a few extra things to attach to the front of it. I've heard that always keeping a filter attached to the front helps protect the lens.

I'm interested in macro lenses and filters, particularly polarizing filters, and possibly a sun shield and telephoto lens. I saw a circular polarizing filter that could be rotated as needed. Do these things also help cut down on glare when shooting thru glass? Will I also need to buy a new cap to fit the filter, or will the regular lens cap still fit onto filters and 46mm lenses?

What are some good options, and some cheap options? I've read that I should be looking for 46mm accessories, but I need your help finding out which brands and models I should be looking at. If you don't mind, please post what I should expect to pay. Thanks y'all!
    Hi Leaftye

The first thing you should realise is that the Fuji S700 is an ultrazoom camera not a DSLR, i.e. it has a fixed 38-380mm (35mm equivalent) 10x lens, you cann't take it off to swap another lens on, nor are there any lens converters available for the S700 that you could fit to the front of the lens to give you extra wide angle or telephoto capability.

The usual accessories that many people consider when buying an ultrazoom camera include the following (more or less in order of priority):
    *Rechargable batteries and battery charger (2500 mAH or higher, NiMH batteries are best)
    *Memory Card (brand, capacity etc varies considerably)
    *Carry Case
    *Lens/camera cleaning kit
    *Filters, Tripod, Power adaptor etc

You can fit 46mm threaded filters. (I'm thinking of buying some next myself. ).
    From all the filter threads on this site (check out General Digital Photography Chat, Tips and Techniques etc) the consensus seems to be the following:
    *don't buy cheap crap, it will only have a negative effect on your photo's, therefore avoid bargain filters & cheaper brands eg Tiffin, Cokin etc
    *do buy quality filters, eg B+W or Hoya,
    *do buy multi-coated, which are significantly better at reducing glare etc than single coated.
    *useful filters to start with appear to be: Skylight 1B, UV &/or Circular Polarising Filters
    (there are many other types, however which is more useful to you depends on the type of photos you want to take)
    *generally UV filters don't have much effect on photo quality, except perhaps to reduce general haze, they're basically for protecting the lens, however if the lens is fixed anyway, the lens cap is probably sufficient protection (& a well padded carry bag, eg a Lowepro Edit 110, which has already saved my camera once). If some dust or water gets on the lens while you're shooting, a lens cleaning kit (eg a giotto blower and a micro-fibre cleaning cloth, eg by Inca, are probably going to be more useful, and cheaper, than a UV filter).

I've been checking out Hoya multi-coated filters (which are the mid-point in their range) and you could expect to pay the following for them:
    Hoya 46mm UV HMC - about USD30.00,
    Hoya 46mm CPO HMC - about USD90.00
    [Their range consists of: Standard (single-coat), Hoya Multi-coated (3 layers), Super HMC (upto 12 layers) & PRO1].

Circular polarising filters cut down on glare or reflected light off non-metallic surfaces eg water, glass etc, so they're useful for landscape and outdoor photography. For best effect the sun needs to be at 90degrees to the camera lens, i.e. over your left or right shoulder.

The only "official" accessory for the Fuji S700 is the power adaptor (AC-5VX) which would be useful when transferring photos from the memory card to your computer.

A good memory card should be high on your list of extras to buy. The S700 can take xD or SD cards and which you choose really depends on which camera brand you might like to buy next, eg xD cards are used in Olympus and Fuji cameras & SD cards are used in Pentax & Nikon (& perhaps other brands).

Card capacity depends to some extent on what you do and your general approach. If you're going to use the Fuji to take lots of short video footage then a higher capacity card like a 1GB or 2GB would be best, or if you don't like the idea of keeping all your photos on one card (risk of loss or damage to the card etc) then a couple of smaller cards may be better for you eg one 512MB, one 256MB and two 128MB or something like that.

Apologies for the length of the reply, but hope that some of the above suggestions were helpful.

Good luck with your purchase!

Benjamin

Although the S700 has a fixed lens the front is threaded so filters can be added as well as stepup rings and anything else. There is an additional telephoto and wideangle lens available as an option but Im not sure how that works other than the fact they screw on the existing lens. An ac power adapter is a must to save battery power if you are shooting near a power source or when transferring pics to computer as Benjamin said. I believe a circular Polarizer filter must be used as a linear one doesnt seem to work. Just check the net for any S700 options and you will find anything that has been missed so far.

The advice given so far is really good, and I appreciate the long response, but I'm even more confused. The Canon S5 is also an ultrazoom, but the adapter ring can be used to add extra macro/wide-angle/telephoto lenses. Isn't this an option with the Fuji?? Bynx seems to think so....which is good....I'd really like to know if anyone has found and used lenses.

Check this site: http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...?productid=995
    This is for the 2X telephoto lens which screws on any digital camera that has a threaded lens. There is also a wideangle lens as well. The telephoto sells for $60 and comes with a lens cap, back cap and carrying pouch.
    Now a question for the technical gurus here. Fuji has a 46mm lens. What is the difference in picture accuracy between using a 46mm telephoto lens and a 55mm lens attached with stepup ring? Since the outside edge of the telephoto would not be used to the limit would the edges be more accurate in the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    The advice given so far is really good, and I appreciate the long response, but I'm even more confused. The Canon S5 is also an ultrazoom, but the adapter ring can be used to add extra macro/wide-angle/telephoto lenses. Isn't this an option with the Fuji?? Bynx seems to think so....which is good....I'd really like to know if anyone has found and used lenses.
    Hi Leaftye

When I originally wrote that there are no adaptors/converters for the S700, I meant I'm not aware of any Fuji-made lens adaptors for the S700, there may be third party lens adaptors available as Bynx suggests, but I'm not aware of them either. Sorry for any confusion or misunderstanding about that.

Generally its best to add an adaptor/convertor made by the camera manufacturer because the optics in the adaptor will be optimised for the camera it was designed for.

As Bynx says the Fuji lens is 46mm and threaded at the front, hence the ability to add filters, & theoretically lens adaptors etc. Sorry I cann't be of more help on this.

Good luck with your search and decisions.

Benjamin

JohnR Guest
    Hello, I'm John from NY, USA. I found this discussion during a yahoo search. I'm a member of Flickr.com and also own a fuji s5700 (called an s700 here in U.S. for some reason) anyway, here is a link to a flickr discussion in a group for fuji finepix s5700 users. there are many details on the lenses and with/without photo examples of the lenes. good luck. btw, I'm jrosalia on flickr if you decide to join, feel free to say hello.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/s5700/d...7603661581717/

Excellent, many thanks for that link. I ended up buying a 46-55mm stepping ring as the 55mm filters seem more readily available

Exclamation to JohnR

Hi; glad to see another New Yorker here.
    Will have to check out that link later as it is about time for me to get ready for church.
    To Leftye;
    I would go with a UV or skylight filter as a protective measure against scratches or dust. if it is damaged by anything the handful of dollars it costs is a lot less than a repair on the camera lens (if that can even be done at all).
    Last edited by Falconest174; 02-17-2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Correct misspelling
    Falconest174
    Seeing the picture starts the process
    D7100, Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300 Macro, Sigma 17-70 F2.8 Macro,
    Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD 60Th Anniv. ,SB700, Vivitar 383, Manfrotto t-pod, monopod
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/rmProvost