Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Cool Ricoh Caplio GX 5MP 3x zoom

Hi Everyone!

Wooohooo!
    As some of you may know I've been researching digital cameras/photography for the last few weeks prior to taking the plunge and buying my first digital camera. However due to certain budget constraints & forthcoming expenses (sorry Ariella, that's the cat, who's due for her desexing operation in a fortnight ), I wont be able to buy a camera until next month...

One of my work colleagues loaned me her old Ricoh P&S (she wanted a few updated photos of Ariella , whom you've seen in "Introduce yourself- face the photographer" at six weeks. She is now six months old..., so I have a digicam to play with for a few days!!!!

It may not be the most sophisticated piece of equipment & I don't have access to the manual, so everything will be via experimentation, but expect to see some general shots (i.e. if any are ok to upload ) here, and a few of Ariella in the "Cat" thread soon!

Hehehe, who would've thought that digital photography would be so much fun!
    Seriously, this is seriously good fun!

ciao,

Benjamin

Sounds like you had fun, I'll be looking for your pics
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Ricoh Caplio GX 5MP 3x, First Shots

Quote Originally Posted by toriaj View Post
    Sounds like you had fun, I'll be looking for your pics
    Hi Tori

The photos below are the first digital photos that I've ever taken! They were taken on a borrowed camera (Ricoh Caplio GX 5MP 3x zoom) on loan for two days. The photos were taken on the evening of the 18SEP07, all in "Night Scene Mode", so focus, white balance etc were all automatically set (although I pre-focussed the camera in every shot with the old half-depressed shutter release technique).

A) The first shot is of a water-bubbler (the original photo was clearly affected by the hue of the spotlight shining on it, very yellow, which the auto white-balance couldn't compensate for, the image on the camera's LCD didn't look as yellow as it did in the captured image), I was going to post the original photo and an edited version using MS-Office 2003 Picture Manager, but unfortunately saved the edited version twice, once in the renamed file and again in the original file, so I can only post the edited version which was resized for posting to the web and colour/white balance corrected. Focus was affected by hand-shake in an unstable seated position. (Exposure data: 5.8mm, F/2.5, 1sec).
    B) The next few shots are of the War Memorial in Hyde Park, various angles: (i) the first trying to capture the whole building juxtaposed with the city's night-lights in the background, and (ii) in the second, with mid-zoom applied to focus on the upper right-hand corner of the building, I was experimenting with zoom and an odd or dramatic viewing angle (unfortunately the focus was affected by camera shake, so consequently it was one of the worst shots from the night's shoot.)
    C) The Archibald Fountain in Hyde Park silhouetted against park lighting behind it, I braced myself against the fountain's information plaque, using the marble plinth as an improvised tripod (probably one of the best shots from the night! Exposure data:5.8mm, F/2.5, 1sec)
    D) St Mary's Cathedral lit by its own night lights (90' L of the previous photo, notice the fountain's water in the foreground, the Cathedral is about 400-500 metres from the fountain & I used mid-zoom again to get a little closer to the target, again I braced myself against the Fountain's information plaque, also one of the best photos from the night! Exposure data: 7.9mm, F/2.8, 1sec)

For some kitty photos see the Kitty photo thread!

Had lots of fun playing with this camera for one night and can hardly wait to buy my own camera soon!
    Just think how excited I'll be experimenting with my own camera!
    Last edited by Benjamin2007; 09-29-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Benjamin

Red face Missing photos from last post

Oooops, looks like the photo attachments didn't upload ok last time
    Probably tried to attach too many photos and inadvertently exceeded the maximum file size per post. I'll re-send them one at a time,

A) Green Park, water-bubbler (note comments in original post re poor focus and white-balance issues):

Benjamin

Smile More Ricoh First Shots

B) War Memorial, Hyde Park (various shots, see original post for comments per photo):

Benjamin

Final Ricoh First Shots

Final instalment of the first shots taken with the loaned Ricoh Caplio GX!

C) Archibald Fountain, Hyde Park, 18SEP07, &
    D) St Mary's Cathedral, 18SEP07.

(For comments re each photo see original post above)

Benjamin