Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Lumix DMC-L10 thread

Well as no one else has started one yet I'll kick off the L10 discussion.
    It seems to me that the L10 when matched with the new Leica 14-150 lense is a pretty close to match to my FZ20 but in a DSLR. The camera & lense combination sounds pretty good to me. I was leaning towards an Oly E510 but now I'm not so sure. I wonder how the Leica lense would compare with the FZ20 in macro as it doesn't seem to have a specific macro mode. However, it does focus down to 0.5m at all focal lengths which ought to be quite good for creeping up on insects etc I guess. The f5.6 vs my current f2.8 at full zoom is still a downside though. Jeff when you do the reviews I hope you get one of these lenses to put through it's paces as well & can do a back to back comparison with the ultra zoom cameras.
    OK anyone else got any thoughts.............?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

WELL ... i love panasonic and i have Fz8 .,, and this camera is very good and had something new like the lcd ...but it still have high price for me i would go for eos 400 or nikon d40 ..and why it dosent have in body image stabilization now they force u to buy lecia lenses as i think most of OLY. lenses has no image stabilization ( i dunno about sigma )

I don't think that this DSLR was introduced really well. I for one, don't see who this is marketed at. Its price puts it well up into the D80 / 40D range, but its features are more akin to that of a Rebel XTi. Is this an entry-level camera like the XTi, or is this meant to compete with the D80, whose kit price is identical?

Forcing a kit is also problematic if the lens is indeed representing a significant cost ($400?) and will hamper sales of this model. I honestly don't see the value proposition here, especially with Olympus offering a similar camera (according to DPR, they appear to share the same base platform), with in-body IS, for less.

- Jon

Rex914...
    agree with you .. if it has a better price it would be great .. but with this price...

Hmm yes I just checked the prices Jeff is quoting & I see what you mean. It looks like this will be a wait & see how the market prices turn out after a while. Currently even the twin lens bundle cost of the Oly 510 is much cheaper than the basic Lumix L10 kit.

L10 snag

I was just re reading the dpreview preview of the 10 & saw that it doesn't have a DoF preview option. What a bummer panasonic why leave it off? That was one of my key reasons for hankering after a dslr & you left it off It looks like its cousins the Oly 410 & 510 have it so why leave it off.

Jon I agree with you completely.
    It's a shame about the L10, I had high hopes for it when I first heard about it.

It could be worse, Panasonic could be out of the DSLR world; at least they're trying.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.