Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

16x20 portrait print

Has anyone sold a 16x20 portrait print... If so would you mind telling me what it was sold for I'm trying a baseline for fair pricing. So far I've just found pricing all over the place. thanks in advance.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

depends how you charge in general. ie: do you charge by the hour for your time plus PP time added on etc.

personally, i don't see the need to charge extra for the print size; at the end of the day its the same file/ photo whether you print at 8x10 or 16x20. your time at the shoot and PP time is far more valuable. i simply add the cost of the print to the final price.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

It depends on the type of print. Is it just a standard print? Canvas? Wrap? Any special sprays or textures to treat the print? I guess, it also comes down to whatever you will be happy with getting for your work.

I respectfully disagree with Rooz. I charge different for each print size, as it costs me more to have them printed at the ProLab. I also know alot of other Pro's in my area that charge based on size.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on!
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    It depends on the type of print. Is it just a standard print? Canvas? Wrap? Any special sprays or textures to treat the print? I guess, it also comes down to whatever you will be happy with getting for your work.

I respectfully disagree with Rooz. I charge different for each print size, as it costs me more to have them printed at the ProLab. I also know alot of other Pro's in my area that charge based on size.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on!
    sorry J, i may not have been clear enuf. i meant i charge the cost of the print size they ask for. i don;t put anything on top of that though. its purely what the photolab charges. to be honest, i very rarely have anyone asking for prints at all anymore, (i don't do any weddings though), most people want it on a DVD/ CD and they can choose whatever they want from there.

thats why i asked how X charges. i know some people who charge everything per size in a package and factor everything into that charging model but don't charge a per hour fee. ie: say 16x20 print is $300. but that would include not only the printing cost but also their time.

a friend of mine who does pro weddings does it this way. he gives a flat package fee and dosnt break it down into time or prints. he just says package A is 100 5x7's, 20 8x10's all in an album and 1 16x20 for the wall. he also charges the same way for a "parent package" etc etc. but anything varying from the set package fee is charged per print size and its very expensive. he gives no raw files at all for 7years, only thumbnails for them to view. all future ordering of any photo must be done thru him. you have to be VERY good to be able to charge like that...which he is and i'm not ! lol

i do it the other way around. so i would say it costs you "$X" for my time at the shoot and costs another "$X" on top if you want special effects in CS3. that includes putting everything onto a DVD. Print is extra and i just give them the printing cost charges from my fave printing lab.

if anyone else more experienced at charging has a better way, i'm all ears.
    Last edited by Rooz; 08-25-2007 at 07:20 PM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Rooz
    Jason

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

I'm venturing into new territory here, in the past pictures were part of a project so it was an all inclusive deal. It's only been lately that people are requesting pictures from me. The situation with this particular picture was I was taking pictures at church (typically I cover various events) and my Pastor wanted some pictures of the congregation. As he was thumbing through the pics he liked one I took of him and said he wanted it like this big. And that was pretty much the end of the conversation.

Previously in the past I charge $50 plus an hour for photo/graphics creation editing etc. I've actually asked $60 for the picture which he's agreed to... but as I mentioned earlier when I tried to check priceing it was like all over the place so I'm just trying to figure out the ryhme or reasoning behind priceing. Thanks for your response's guys.

I agree with jcon you have to charge what you think your worth especially when setting a president and of course what your market will bear. But considering this is my Pastor I wanted to be reasonable They're paid a flat salary by the conference.

I also agree with your friends position Rooz, this is a costly profession/hobby and the only way to control the cash flow is by controlling the product or ownership thereof. I am intending to stop giving away image files, it appears to me that in the long run it will come back to bite me. Enevitably a paying will run into a non-paying and surely that will in no doubt lead to complications. Not that I think that I'm that good either Rooz, but from a business perspective I'll be standing on a little bit more solid ground.

People are starting to request my services without any promotion on my part. So it's my market that's driving my actions. I'm ending up where I had intended on going a little ahead of schedule. Funny considering there was no actual schedule laid out. Hence this is taking me a little off guard. But, I know what I do now will effect my future. Scramble mode here I come. Thanks again.

NikonD?

0.0%

Gee X you saved me from having to make a thread. I too am getting to the point where people want to hire me for events and photoshoots. Wasnt exactly sure what the best way of going about pricing was but now I have a pretty good idea. I personally prefer it if customers just want the finished pics on CD/DVD because that saves you from having to get it printed and since most people only charge cost for prints your not losing anything.
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

I think $60 is a fair price for the both of you. That is somewhat close to what I would charge for a wedding portrait that size. That size isnt very popular, atleast for the weddings and portraits I have done. 8X10 still seems to be the favorite, so I charge accordingly, usually in the $30 per print area.

Also, maybe you could work out a deal with the Pastor and maybe when couples come in for wedding advice, he could recommend you, and vice versa.
    Jason

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Glad I could help r3g

jcon, my Pastor actually did have a few suggestions for me I'm in the process of mulling them over in my head. I also need to set up a website. I've been trying to avoid the website deal. Got to quit being lazy and get it done.

NikonD?

0.0%

Hi Xailo! I've read that same dilemma from someone before who I think has the same photography background as you do. Many people chipped in their comments and I believe that he charged $70 for a print of a photo. Initially, he wanted to charge $10 because according him, he really didn't spend much on that shot. But when others told him that he shouldn't be underpricing himself because it may hurt his reputation early in his photography career (he wanted to turn pro someday).

Ya, I believe $60 is a good start.

Would you believe that $60 from where I am will already gives you a couple of hours' worth of photography services (probably more than 200 digital pictures)?
    An S3 IS and D80 Shooter
    Visit my photo gallery