Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Lens dilemma

Lens dilemma

Ok, got my D80 w/ 18-55 kits lens last week and barely had time to charge the battery before it was off to Seaworld in San Diego. Anyway, as I sat in the stadium taking pix of Shamu I thought to myself, "I wish I had a long lens besides this 18-55"! My orignal plan is/was to buy the 18-55 kit lens and add a 55-200 f/4-5.6G ED VR lens to get me started. But as I sat there, I saw how having to swap out lenses in a hurry (sometimes he's close in, other times he's farther away) would suck. Prior to buy the D80 kit I had considered the 18-135 kit lens but I read where a few folks on another forum badmouthed the lens because they claimed it suffered from some distortion at the extremes and that turned me off to it. But I see some people are happy with it and say "it makes a great walking around lens". So I have a couple options that I'm looking to get comments on:

1) Keep the 18-55 and add the 55-200 VR lens.

2) Sell the 18-55 (1 week old) and get a 18-135 + a 70-300 f/4-5.6G AF lens.

Regardless, with either option I will have to swap lenses. Only w/ #2 just not as often.

TIA

Smile

What about the 18-200 VR? You won't have to change at all.

I borrowed it for a weeks and it was good. I didn't change the lens the whole time.

Anyhow, I am new at this myself. I only started a few months ago. just my 2c.

Any individual lens on a camera will be plagued with one short coming or another. In general the crop of lenses out there do a fairly reasonable job. The trick is picking the trade-offs your willing to live with. For instance I enjoy sharpness, so basically any soft lens is automatically off my list unless it possesses other qualities that meet my needs or I can not find elsewhere. The 18-135mm is a cool lens but me personally would find 135mm limiting. The 18-200 is a great all around lens but imo it's over priced and the picture quality is not quite to my likeing, but that does not detract from the convenience of the lens. In the end all that matters is that whatever you use your taking pictures with it and you're happy with the results. What good is pixel peeping if the pictures are aweful.
    Last edited by XaiLo; 08-07-2007 at 02:06 AM.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Thanks for the inputs. I did find this thread http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33315 very interesting. I particularly liked Roos suggestions but they were all helpful and I think I will keep the 18-55 kit lens, wait a bit to see what comes out in the next month or so and if all else fails add the 70-300VR. I have to agree the 18-200VR is a bit too expensive for me.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sole Shooter View Post
    a 70-300 f/4-5.6G AF lens.
    Don't. That particular lens is a waste of money. There are much better choices for similar amounts of cash.

Im not sure how the 18-135mm performs but I can verify that that vr55-200mm is an awesome lens and you would not regreat getting it.
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Don't. That particular lens is a waste of money. There are much better choices for similar amounts of cash.
    Yes, I did see that the only way to go on that focal length was the 70-300VR model which runs about 470USD (within my price range).

Quote Originally Posted by r3g View Post
    Im not sure how the 18-135mm performs but I can verify that that vr55-200mm is an awesome lens and you would not regreat getting it.
    I keep reading that which has me seriously considering keeping the 18-55 and adding the 55-200VR just like you have.