Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Sigma 18-125 Continued

I would have posted this as a reply to the Sigma 18-125 thread but for some reason I couldn't get the reply thread to work correctly. Anyway...

Here I am ready to pull the trigger and purchase a D70 and you all throw another option at me. I originally made the decision to stay with Nikkor lenses because of so many reviews that I read (all be it on other sites) that spoke very poorly about using non-Nikon lenses on Nikon cameras. However, it seems you all are saying this specific lens is as good if not better than the 18-70DX kit lens.

I am concerned with the comment tksuther made regarding skin tones. Has any one else seen this issue? I donít plan to take portraits but this will be the only lens I will have for quite a while so there will be several vacation, kid shots, etc. I decided I would rather spend money on Nikon Captuer 4.1 and Color Efex Pro software rather than a second lens for now. Let me know if you think thatís a bad decision.

I guess my real question for those of you that have used the lens. Would this be the one lens you would pick if it would be your only lens for about a year?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by azsooner
    I would have posted this as a reply to the Sigma 18-125 thread but for some reason I couldn't get the reply thread to work correctly. Anyway...

Here I am ready to pull the trigger and purchase a D70 and you all throw another option at me. I originally made the decision to stay with Nikkor lenses because of so many reviews that I read (all be it on other sites) that spoke very poorly about using non-Nikon lenses on Nikon cameras. However, it seems you all are saying this specific lens is as good if not better than the 18-70DX kit lens.

I am concerned with the comment tksuther made regarding skin tones. Has any one else seen this issue? I donít plan to take portraits but this will be the only lens I will have for quite a while so there will be several vacation, kid shots, etc. I decided I would rather spend money on Nikon Captuer 4.1 and Color Efex Pro software rather than a second lens for now. Let me know if you think thatís a bad decision.

I guess my real question for those of you that have used the lens. Would this be the one lens you would pick if it would be your only lens for about a year?

Jeff
    After buying the Sigma 18-125 DC, and using it as my everyday shooter for about 4 months, I sold my Nikkor 18-70 AF-G DX "kit" lens. Whatever minor differences there may be at the extreme settings on these lenses (and there are none that I have found), the Sigma wins on reach alone. Build quality is the same.

Are there better lenses out there? Oh, hell yes! And I wish I could afford them all, but none with the day-to-day utility of the Sigma.

The only other lens I use on a regular basis is a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF-D that I bought, used, for $60 (I love this lens). I also have a Nikkor 70-300 AF-G that works well, but I rarely have need of the long telephoto, and it sees duty about once or twice a month, but for $150 it serves it's purpose.

I have tried the Nikkor 24-120 G ED-IF VR (about $500), and the Tamron 28-300 XR Di LD (about $400), and liked both of these lenses, but neither was better than the Sigma overall, and both lack the 18mm bottom end that I use very frequently for interior shots and broad landscapes (i.e. Grand Canyon).

As for buying software in leu of a second lens... probably an ok choice. I prefer Photoshop, but that's just me, as I frequently use Photoshop plug-ins when post processing.

Hope this helps.

Bon Foto.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 12-23-2004 at 09:08 AM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

George,

Thanks that helps quite a bit. I'm going to place the 50 and 70-300 lenses on my list for later.

Now I need to stop reading and make my purchase!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by azsooner
    George,

Thanks that helps quite a bit. I'm going to place the 50 and 70-300 lenses on my list for later.

Now I need to stop reading and make my purchase!

Jeff
    Glad to help. The nice thing about dSLR lenses, is that if you don't like them you can generally return them (in a reasonable amount of time) and get something else.

Additionally if you have a decent camera suppy store, in your area, you can generally rent equipment (incuding lenses). I did this when I needed an 80-400 VR one week-end and didn't have $1500 handy.

Yes, I could have used my 70-300 AF-G for this, but I didn't feel like lugging my tripod all over the desert. So for $35 (and security deposit) I got to goof around with a (very) nice, image stabilized, lens. Unfortunately the (wildlife) shoot was cancelled due to weather. When it rains in the desert, the critters stay home, and it gets pretty dangerous due to flash flooding out in the boonies.

Anyway, whatever lens you choose, just have fun.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

4walls Guest

"Digital" lenses

I was reading somewhere that the Sigma 18-125 DC lens is a digital lens so that
    18mm is REALLY 18mm when mounted on a dSLR.

Is this true, or does the magnification factor still apply, making the 18mm end of
    the lens = 27mm?

The crop factor does still apply. however the "Digital lens" is generally much smaller than a standard lens of the same reach.

4walls Guest
    Ya, I thought so.

I am buying a D70 and considering the Sigma lens instead of the Nikon lens.
    I have heard the Sigma is a little slower in focus and a little louder as well.

I would love to see some good comparisons in pictures. Same scene with
    each lens. Anyone got something like that?

/4walls
    Vancouver, Canada

4walls Guest
    Got the D70.

Went with the kit lens.

Shot some pics with both lenses.

Sigma pics came out with a pink hue.

Colors were more true with the Nikon lens (at all f/stops and focal lengths).

Sigma was noisy focus and slower.

These were my observations anyway....

...oh and the Nikon lens has 2 years more warranty.

4walls Guest

D70 and kit lens

OK, I changed my mind.

I returned the camera with the kit lens and picked up a D70 body
    with a Nikon 28-200 f/3.5~5.6 ED lens. This is a great lens. I will
    miss the 18mm wide end of the kit lens, but this is a good walkaround
    lens and nice and sharp too.

The kit lens was faster focus, but I wanted the longer telephoto.

Quote Originally Posted by 4walls
    OK, I changed my mind.

I returned the camera with the kit lens and picked up a D70 body
    with a Nikon 28-200 f/3.5~5.6 ED lens. This is a great lens. I will
    miss the 18mm wide end of the kit lens, but this is a good walkaround
    lens and nice and sharp too.

The kit lens was faster focus, but I wanted the longer telephoto.
    Here are a few pictures taken with the Sigma 18-125. The only negative I have seen so far (in about 1500 shots) is a little vignetting at 125mm running wide open. Most of the pictures I have posted on smugmug are using the Sigma (a Few are using the Nikkor 18-70).

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/197044

Tamron is introducing an 18-200 this spring so I'm hoping that it will equal the current batch of consumer compact zooms. If so, I'll be $400 poorer.
    Ha! See, I can change...