Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

dingerb Guest

Good Basic Digital Cameras - What To Buy

Hi,
    This is my first post but would be grateful for some positive advice. I have had a Canon Powershot S50 for a couple of years now but have always found it a bit of a handful as I am not an expert photographer.
    Time to move on then. What I want is good but straightforward no nonsense compact digital camera that feel good and is not overly complicated. I run a website so do need something that will produce good images. I take lots of pictures including distance stuff so need features that will cope with this. I am not interested in manual controls so would prefer something that does not have that feature. My problem is that there is so much out there so can someone point me in the right direction?

The buyer's guide at the top of this page is a good start.

Here's a starting point. There is a newer version coming soon, however:
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...mc_tz1-review/
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

What is so complicated with the S50 that has you wanting another camera? Just turn the dial on the top to the green AUTO setting and take pictures. If you want to go beyond simple picture taking then the other settings will work as well. Your present camera is "straightforward" and "no nonsense".

Thumbs up Sounds like he wants more zoom...

You can look at the new Panasonic DMC-TZ3, it is almost fully automatic, though it doesn't hurt to occasionally adjust exposure bias to get a little contrast improvement in images. If that's too much adjustment for you, it has a "simple" mode that takes away all the guesswork.

But it's a fine camera, I have one myself. It has 28-280mm zoom, so better wideangle and longer zoom than your S50, it has image stabilization, and it's quite a bit smaller, as well. Here's a link to my TZ3 gallery, if you'd like to see some photos from the camera.
    Let a be your umbrella!