Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Rebel XTi

Rebel XTi

I'm fairly new to digital SLR's. I have a Rebel XTi. It worked great during football season outdoor at my kids games but indoor pictures don't come out good at all. I'm sure it a user error. I have found myself going back to my point and shoot digital camera when indoors. Is there something I am doing wrong with the SLR indoors? A lot of the pictures come out dark. Do I need a different lense? I currently have the kit lense. I'm going to NYC in a few weeks and really want to take the SLR but am afraid my pictures won't turn out. We are going to the wax museum which is indoors. I know we will take a lot of pictures there. I'm tempted to take the old point and shoot with me. Any suggestions?

Well, you can crank the ISO a little, but 800 and up tends to look a bit bad on the XTi. The kit lens isn't terribly special for this kind of work. You might look into a lens with a larger aperture, say a f/2.8 fixed - it will provide a lot more light at higher shutter speeds and a lower ISO, making for much better low-light pictures.

I'll let experienced XTi users advise you as to settings and such.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

what mode are you shooting in ? are you using the onboard flash ? the range of these onboards are very limiting, that could be one problem. the xti can shoot pretty comfortably at iso800 if you're not blowing up to like an 11x14.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Indoors is always a tough one to beat, especially if you dont have the proper tools. With the kit lens its a rather poor performer in dim light. Thats why i never even bothered getting the kit lens in the first place. So yeah just as fionndruinne said. Have a lens with an aperture higher than 2.8. and bump the ISO to 800, although noise is somewhat an issue when its viewed in a distance which we normally would its no problem. Even a lens with an aperture of f4 with IS will do about half the job. a good and affordable lens would be the 50 f1.4. If you cant afford to make a purchase a simple fix would be to use the flash, when flash is prohibited just bump the ISO to 800 or 1600 and set the kit lens to its lowest focal lengths. i think its 18 which will allow to you use its widest aperture of 3.5. Go any longer and your stuck with f5.6. hope this helps a bit.

:: A PS is still a nice back up when you starting out.
    Cannon 400D/ EF 50 1.4/ EF 70-200 F4L / EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS / Panasonic FZ-5