Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    there are firmware differences, i really think they are slight though
    the main differences are the price and the warranty period
    Leica provide 3yrs warranty
    possibly the distributed software is different too

Leica are known to be more generous than that at times
    both the Leica Digilux2 and the Panasonic LC-1 have suffered from sensor failures
    they were apparently using some of the Sony 2/3 sensors that had failures
    where Panasonic are looking for a customer contribution for repairs
    Leica are doing the responsible thing and repairing the cameras for free
    often customers find other things like the lens has been exchanged or cleaned when the camera is returned to them
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I have indded been reading about the Sigma DP1. It looks very promising with it's huge sensor. In theory that should greatly reduce noise.

The head of Sigma says the camera will come equipped with a 3x digital zoom. I'm wondering if that will be useful at all given the loss of information inherent with a digital zoom.

If we were to use it, say, to zoom in just a little, to go from 28mm to 35 or even 50mm, does anyone think it will still render good images?

Best,

Gerry

i dont think it will have a zoom
    i left a link to some info in the Sigma part of the site
    it just could be a landmark camera
    but depends on the limits of the lens, and if they've got the foveon sensor better sorted
    one things for sure, it will be very sharp

ok i just saw it has a digital zoom
    Last edited by Riley; 03-19-2007 at 07:26 PM.
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

Question Not proven...

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlingreport View Post
    They are not the same.
    Leica is much better.
    I looked pretty carefully at some high-ISO VLUX-1 photos, posted by a Leica user on dpreview's "Leica talk" forum. As far as I could conclude, the VLUX-1 differs from the FZ50 only with respect to default settings of "Pict Adj" settings. Leica sets NR lower, other parameters like sharpening, contrast, etc. may be different by default only. I analyzed ISO 400, 800 images, and they exhibit exactly the same "red bleed" issues that the FZ50's 400+ images show. This is an artifact of the way the Venus III engine internal to both cameras is driven by its firmware to convert captured image data into JPG images. And evidence seems to indicate that that conversion acts the same for both cameras, with a breakpoint vis-a-vis "smudging" around ISO 400. As Riley indicated, shooting and processing images in RAW gets around that particular issue, and it's the same for both cameras.

If having a Red Badge and a 3-year warranty is "better," the VLUX-1 is indeed better, at least by that definition. (Oh, and they throw in a 256MB SD card too). If you have any photographic proof of the VLUX-1's superiority, let's see it?
    Let a be your umbrella!