Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sony DSC F707

arkaybee Guest

Same issue

This exact issue is what brought me here. Just got off the phone w/ Sony tech support. After setting force flash and resetting camera (twice), i'm left w/ the same problem. Their solution is for me to send it to the repair facility in Texas where they will assess the problem, then call/email me w/ the cost. Has anyone come up with a fix for this that may have been posted somewhere else or offline?

Waiting to mail,

Arkaybee

BillStewart Guest

Smile Same issue

I had the same issue back in December. I took the camera to an authorized Sony repair shop in Endfield, Connecticut. They charged me $260 to repair it. I have taken 110 pictures with the camera since the repair. On Saturday May 21, 2005 the problem came back. I called the repair shop and they said that I am out of luck, as rapairs are only covered for 90 days. I did notice the reference to resetting the camera above, so figured I'd give that a try. IT WOEKED. The flash is back. Thanks!

thegadgetman Guest
    SIMPLE Fix. I have mended about 5 of these with the same fault. It is a very common fault. Basically due to the way the flash has been designed the flash pops up far too violently, this causes a lot of stress within the lens. This in time causes the Flash cable to come loose from the socket. Simple repair, just insert the cable back into the socket. Also causes the screws at the front of the lens to come loose too. To repair, simply, remove the extenal flash bracket and screws, and remove the screws to the Left of the lens (As you are looking into the lens) This will remove the LEFT pannel on the lens. Towards the back (Camera side) of the lens there is a socket arpprox 10 Pin and a ribbon cable, It may look like the cable is in the socket but normally it is just sitting on the edge. Push this cable back in. FLASH should work again, Best to tape this down to stop it happening again. GOOD LUCK.

jasonjaj26 Guest

Thumbs up dsc f707 flash problem fixed.

if your flash isn't comming up it is because of one or two problems. First is the flex board is pulled out. And second is because the flex board is torn where the wires go from the flash to the LCD part of the camera. It is not an easy fix!! But if you would like to email me i can tell you how much i would charge to fix it. It is MORE than HALF of what sony charges to fix it. Which is $250.00. Which there is no way i would pay that much. But i did pay a little over $700.00 for a great camera. So if you want to keep your great camera and pay a reasonable amount of money to fix it . Let me know
    good luck
    Jason

Flash Won't Open

I bought a used camera with the same issue.
    I was able to pry the flash up (didn't put a lot of pressure on it) and still won't work with it up. I noticed that after taking picture and semi closing the flash that it would flash as I pushed it down...so the flash does work, it just doesn't pop up and flash when pic is taken.

Flash Won't Open

I also checked the cable and it appears to be connected.

Yea, my cable was connected as well, still no luck either.

whambetis Guest

Smile This FIX Worked!!! Thanks to "thegadgetman"!

See gadgetman's fix beloe. The offending wire was on the top side at the rear of the lens, right under the (removed)external flash bracket. The small wire strap runs parallel (coplanar) with the camera body (or lens face) and needed to be pressed down from the top of the wire strap itself. The wirestrap also appeared bent and almost torn, possibly by the way the left side of the lens cover fits over it at that same spot. Jasonjaj26 also mentioned this possibility.I was able to test the fix before reassemnbly. It worked!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thegadgetman View Post
    SIMPLE Fix. I have mended about 5 of these with the same fault. It is a very common fault. Basically due to the way the flash has been designed the flash pops up far too violently, this causes a lot of stress within the lens. This in time causes the Flash cable to come loose from the socket. Simple repair, just insert the cable back into the socket. Also causes the screws at the front of the lens to come loose too. To repair, simply, remove the extenal flash bracket and screws, and remove the screws to the Left of the lens (As you are looking into the lens) This will remove the LEFT pannel on the lens. Towards the back (Camera side) of the lens there is a socket arpprox 10 Pin and a ribbon cable, It may look like the cable is in the socket but normally it is just sitting on the edge. Push this cable back in. FLASH should work again, Best to tape this down to stop it happening again. GOOD LUCK.
    Last edited by whambetis; 09-27-2006 at 12:07 AM. Reason: corrected Jasonjaj26 name

nosna Guest

Flash problem

I read about the flash probem...my flash will pop up but it doesn't discharge a flash. I think maybe the bulb is out....but where do I find one? I really don't want to send it in to get fixed and otherwise it works great!!

I had this same problem with a replacement F707 I recently purchased after damaging the memory slot of the original F707 I purchased back in 2002. I loved my F707 and ended up buying a used one from Amazon for $150. It was exactly like the camera I purchased for $1,000 back in 2002. I was very upset when the flash would not pop up. This never happened with my original camera, and I have used it for the past 9 years until I damaged the memory slot by trying to force a 4g memory stick in the slot. By the way, the rep from Sony told me that the 4g was compatible with my F707.
    Anyway, since the original F707 was damaged, I tried forcing the flash door open, and it worked on the old camera, so I gave it a try on my recently purchased F707, and guess what? Now, the flash works. Forcing the pop up door does not damage the camera. Now, my used F707 works beautifully. I saved the cost of purchasing the HVL-F1000 external flash which was close to impossible to finding anyway at a reasonable cost.