Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hoya polarizer filters

Was wondering how good the lower cost filters are for the price? Don't want to pay for the pro1, so was wondering if these are good to go, or if there's better ones out there in the same price range? Or would just saving up for the pro1 and just using a adapter tube a uv for protection for now? Or would it just be worth to save up and get the pro1?

i think my linear polarizer was $20 USD. bout $27 Canadian.. works good for me =)
    Nikon D80 + TAmROn 17-50mm f/2.8
    - Sandisk 2GB Extreme III SD Card
    - Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home

- had Canon PowerShot S3 IS

For some of my shots:http://flickr.com/photos/truflip/

Hoya Filters

Hoya filters come in six series. Listed in order of increasing price and light transmission they are:

Green Series 85%
    Standard 92%
    HMC 97%
    Super HMC 99.7%
    Super HMC Pro 1 99.7%
    Ultra Thin 97%

I have and use Green series and HMC circular polarizers, and I can't see any difference in my useage. I don't need or do 100% crops. Is there a difference? Of course. But in my use, it can't be seen.

One noticeable difference is the build quality. I have had the retaining spring pop out on one of my green series, but it was an easy thing to reassemble. But why should I have to? Because of the $80. price difference is why. As I find myself using the CP more and more, a higher quality model seemed justifiable. For occasional, non-critical use, the green is acceptable.
    Currently using a Canon 40D and 10-22, 24 f1.4L, and 24-105L, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by kjosker View Post
    Hoya filters come in six series. Listed in order of increasing price and light transmission they are:

Green Series 85%
    Standard 92%
    HMC 97%
    Super HMC 99.7%
    Super HMC Pro 1 99.7%
    Ultra Thin 97%

I have and use Green series and HMC circular polarizers, and I can't see any difference in my useage. I don't need or do 100% crops. Is there a difference? Of course. But in my use, it can't be seen.

One noticeable difference is the build quality. I have had the retaining spring pop out on one of my green series, but it was an easy thing to reassemble. But why should I have to? Because of the $80. price difference is why. As I find myself using the CP more and more, a higher quality model seemed justifiable. For occasional, non-critical use, the green is acceptable.
    kjosker, thanks for the informative post.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Quote Originally Posted by XaiLo View Post
    kjosker, thanks for the informative post.
    ditto, very useful. thank you my friend.