Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.

Will it catch on?

I've just seen this:
    Digital back for R series

Will it ever catch on?

I note that the digilux was one of the first to use SD....

Re: Will it catch on?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    I've just seen this:
    Digital back for R series

Will it ever catch on?

I note that the digilux was one of the first to use SD....
    I dunno. It seems weird to couple a 10 megapixel sensor to SD memory, when most users of that ilk of camera will be shooting big RAW and TIFF images; hard to get too many images on even a 512MB SD card; I would've thought a CF II format to accommodate the 4GB drives and flash cards would've been the order of the day.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Reed
    I dunno. It seems weird to couple a 10 megapixel sensor to SD memory, when most users of that ilk of camera will be shooting big RAW and TIFF images; hard to get too many images on even a 512MB SD card; I would've thought a CF II format to accommodate the 4GB drives and flash cards would've been the order of the day.
    It seemed wierd when Leica went for SD in the first place as it was only used by people like Konica. It seems to be taking off though. Leica seemed to have got its memory card choice wrong last time but it turned out just fine. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see 10gb SD cards soon. I must admit that my file sizes have crept up. My Nikon 3100 gives me 1GB on max quality; My 995 gives me 1.4mb on max quality but my Canon S1 gives me 1.8mb. That makes a 256mb card look awfully small and it's only 3mp. 10mp would have a file size at least 3 times that so the current 512s do look miniscule.