Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Des Plaines, IL

Talking Updates galore

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    For a little extra reach... consider looking at the[/COLOR] Tokina AT-X 840 80-400mm f4-5.6. This lens really is an all-in-one solution to outdoor telephoto, if you can get one. It weighs and costs quite a bit more than the 70-300mm, but returns an excellent shot... and if you are running around like you say, coupled with the SONY's built-in Super-SteadyShot (Image Stability)... you would be good to go and not need much more in lenses.

Good Luck and I hope you at least take a look at the glass I have suggested. I really do not feel you will be disappointed.
    Well, I finally was able to get a hold of an older Tokina AT-X 840 80-400mm f/4-5.6 (not the II-model, Tokina will not make it for the SONY-mount *there is something just weird about that* ) for my own lens bag. This lightweight has some reach on it (effectively a 120-600mm zoom).

Anyway, it is on the way from Japan and I fully intend to see if it is up to par with other lenses in that class. I don't expect it to be as razor-sharp as the TAMRON 200-500mm f/6.9, but it should be on par with the TAMRON 70-300 f/4-5.6 LD.

Should be here by week's end, I hope.

With all the new camera's available ... perhaps we need to revisit the WHOLE NEW BAG idea?

Let's see ... best camera ... in the bag ... hmmm, yeah ... SONY A700.

Lenses to have ...

Utility/Walkaround lens -> TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF)

Wide-Angle Zoom -> SIGMA AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (D) EX DC

Short zoom -> TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF)

Long zoom -> SONY 70-200 f/2.8 G (why fight the best?)

Super zoom -> TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)

Last edited by DonSchap; 10-14-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi