Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Leica Digilux 3

Leica Digilux 3

I'm a Canon 35mm film camera user looking to add a decent digital camera system to use as my primary system. I'm very excited about the new line of Leica digital cameras that may offer me the option of breaking free of my Canon system.

I'm used to shooting documentary/reportage photography with a EF-L 20-35mm f2.8 (35mm standard) lens and an EF-L 85mm f1.2 portrait lens. At the moment I'm faced with these options: the first is to purchase a very expensive high end digital Canon body to use my old EF L-series lenses without the requisite conversion due to the small sensors on the more affordable Canon dlsr bodies. I'm not keen on this option as the cost is prohibitive.

The second option would be to purchase an entry level or intermediate Canon dslr such as those with the smaller 1.6x sensor of the 20D, 30D and Rebel and yet another new set of Canon lenses to accommodate my need for an ultra-wide angle zoom (the Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 10 - 22mm f/3.5 - 4.5 USM is the only offering and I don't believe as good as my current 35mm equivalent) and a portrait prime. I believe I will regret this option in the future.

I already have a couple of FD L-series lenses for my F-1 body (which I thoroughly enjoy working with and still use a lot) that are incompatible with my EOS bodies. I'm not keen on purchasing yet another set of lenses from Canon with the equivalent focal lengths in the digital world that I can only use on select intermediate bodies within my budget. I find this dilemma very frustrating and somewhat short-sighted on Canon's part! At least Nikon users can still use many of their manual lenses on their automatic bodies. I'm quite happy to sell (and already have a buyer for) my 35mm EOS bodies and EF-L series lenses to cover any additional cost of switching to Leica.

The final option - the one I find the most compelling is to simply begin with a new system altogether - one built with extremely high quality components and optics - one that has the impeccable reputation that Leica enjoys amongst professional photographers.

The D-system is within my budget. The current lens offered in the D-System: LEICA D VARIO-ELMARIT f/2.8-3.5/14-50 ASPH offers a 28-100mm (35mm equivalent) which cuts out the 20-28mm range which is hugely important to my work. Of course the M8 - a dream camera, truly the ultimate along with the stunningly small LEICA TRI-ELMAR-M16-18-21 mm f/4 ASPH lens covers this beautifully, but is way out of my budget for now, but at the very top of my wish list.

I'd like to know if anyone is aware of plans in the near future to add more Leica lenses that will cover the 20-28mm range for the D-system? Also, are there any lenses from other manufacturers that I can use to cover this range in the meantime? If the answer is yes, is the Digilux 3 available for purchase without the current lens offering (body only)?

apparently in the list of accessories for the Digilux 3 there is mention of a 4/3 adapter for Leica-R lenses. part number 18628 from Leica

my impression is there are no short term plans to release the D3 body only
    that said, Im thinking that selling the lens wouldnt attract too much risk
    pricing the sale might be a quandry though

Riley
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

Four Thirds Standard

A little bit of digging into the early hours of the morning - can you tell I'm ready to get rid of my Canon system? and I came across this site: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/lense.html which states that the Panasonic DMC-L1 which looks identical to the Digilux 3 will accept lenses by Olympus, specifically the Olympus Zuiko Digital 7-14mm ED (14-28mm equivalent - wow!!!).

The site doesn't list the Digilux 3 (I suspect that it might shortly be added as it was just recently announced) although the lens that comes with it: LEICA D VARIO-ELMARIT f/2.8-3.5/14-50 ASPH adheres to the "Four Thirds" standard as it is sold with the Panasonic body. Does anyone know any more about this? I'm really in uncharted territory here. Also, I know nothing about Olympus Zuiko Digital lenses so if there is anyone that has worked with them I'd really appreciate sharing your experience.

Typically, I've spent my money on glass as opposed to bodies in the 35mm world, however, I'm not sure that this applies in the digital world. Are there major differences between the Leica and Panasonic bodies? I intend to do any post-processing in Adobe Photoshop CS it that helps.
    Last edited by Aftaab; 10-22-2006 at 02:39 AM. Reason: repetition

sorry i didnt inform you about four thirds lens system, i took it for granted that you knew. the L1 and the Digilux 3 are near identical but for some cosmetic differences, some firmware differences, and warrantee conditions. leica warrantee provisions are certainly better but you pay a premium for that. an update to the L1 firmware was posted around a week ago and it is expected that D3 will follow soon.

the system is intended to be an open cross platform lens/body system. and the goal is to have full functionality between bodies and lenses between members of the four thirds consortium. but be aware that the old olympus OM series lenses are not the same mount as the new four thirds mounts, beginning i think with the E1. mount converters are getting around on ebay and such but functionality like AF is limited.

also not all the members of the consortium contribute hardware to it. so for the moment the Oly bodies E1 E300 E330 E500 and the new E400 and the oly system lenses, the leica D3, the D system and R lenses with an adapter (more coming), sigma lenses (11 at last count) and of course L1 body. i think that covers it.

i cant really help you with photoshop inf

http://www.4-3system.com/modules/news/

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html

http://www.myfourthirds.com/

Riley
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

Thanks

Hi Riley, thank you so much for the information you've passed on already. I certainly have options to explore and I'm very excited about learning more. I'm going to see if anyone actually carries some of this equipment in my area, Vancouver, Canada so that I can actually get a sense of what some of these pieces of equipment are like. I get the sense that both the Digilux and the L1 are fairly large cameras which may be a negative in my case as I don't really want to draw attention to myself in some of the scenes I shoot. I just need to see what feels right for me.

Thanks for the links and the info

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    sorry i didnt inform you about four thirds lens system, i took it for granted that you knew. the L1 and the Digilux 3 are near identical but for some cosmetic differences, some firmware differences, and warrantee conditions. leica warrantee provisions are certainly better but you pay a premium for that. an update to the L1 firmware was posted around a week ago and it is expected that D3 will follow soon.

the system is intended to be an open cross platform lens/body system. and the goal is to have full functionality between bodies and lenses between members of the four thirds consortium. but be aware that the old olympus OM series lenses are not the same mount as the new four thirds mounts, beginning i think with the E1. mount converters are getting around on ebay and such but functionality like AF is limited.

also not all the members of the consortium contribute hardware to it. so for the moment the Oly bodies E1 E300 E330 E500 and the new E400 and the oly system lenses, the leica D3, the D system and R lenses with an adapter (more coming), sigma lenses (11 at last count) and of course L1 body. i think that covers it.

i cant really help you with photoshop inf

http://www.4-3system.com/modules/news/

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html

http://www.myfourthirds.com/

Riley
    Riley, after having played with some cameras at my local photo store I'm definitely leaning towards an Olympus Evolt E-500 body along with their 11-22mm f2.8-3.5 lens and a kit 14-45mm lens. I'm so impressed by the build quality compared to the Canon XT/XTi with their EF-S 10-22mm lens which feel incredibly cheap and flimsy by comparison. I'm going to take my cf card in and take some photos with it to satisfy my curiosity and possibly eliminate any doubts that four thirds is the way to go. When my budget allows and if there are compelling Leica products in the near future then I will have more options for a primary body or lens.

well be quick because E300 is definately discontinued as of last night
    E500 possibly

Riley
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR