Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Freelance Work

Question Freelance Work

I am just about to purchase a Canon 20D. I am an amature photographer looking to get more involved. I am not purchasing this camera to make a living, but I would like to offset the cost, considering the body, lenses and accessories will cost me about $2000.00. Can anyone give me any information on where to find freelance work. Is there a website or a place where I can find small weekend jobs to help offset the costs? Can anyone give me advice as to where to find jobs? I do realize that weddings are always an option, but until I get a chance to develop my own style and learn about photography a little more I am going to try and stay away from that. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Ken

Ktixx,

It can be done, but not in a weekend. When I began longing for a DSLR, I decided to see if I could get the hobby to pay for itself. Almost a year later I have a nice little weekend business going. There are a couple of ways to go about it:

1) Get involved with a studio. I worked for a large studio shooting graduations in May and June. It was easy work; show up, push the button several hundred times, and drop the film in the bag. The studio provided the equipment and the clients. I made enough to buy my DReb, but I had to shoot a lot of grads to get there (at $100 bucks a pop).

2) Contact local wedding photographers to see if they would use you as a paid assistant. You would get a chance to shoot, but would probably not get paid much more than the studio gig.

3) Try to go on your own. This is the slowest way, and the one that requires the most commitment. This is also the way to potentially make the most money. First you need to develop a portfolio (this usually means doing a few TFP shoots), then you need to get your name out. You won't start to really make money until you build a reputation for your work and your manner.

Bottom line...it is possible, but it takes a lot of work and comittment to get there. How many weekends are you willing to give up?
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Why not just take pictures that are pleasing, of the local area. Then put small versions on a website and let people order full-sized prints online. It's a happy little sideline that's going to take no time at all. It'll also cost very little too!

Freelance Work

Ken,

Why not attend a meeting of the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP), or the Professional Photographers of America (PPA). Both organizations hold regular, local meetings and are a great place to learn about the business of photography. There is much more to being a professional than taking pictures and collecting checks. Meeting with the members of a professional organization can help you with the information on offering your services as a freelancer. They may also be interested in hiring you as an assistant.

www.asmp.org
    www.ppa.com

Best of luck,

Jay Kinghorn
    RGB Imaging