Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Oh lord, it's an FZ5 vs. FZ7 question...

So it seems from my first post to this forum that my FZ1 has developed a terminal illness and I guess I'll be looking at replacements. As I'm not real big on learning curves and I've certainly been satisfied with my own Lumix Experience, I guess that means there's an FZ5 or 7 in my future (and yes, that's the budget). I'm living in China and I can still get hold of an FZ5, but certainly FZ7's are more readily available. The price difference here between the two wouldn't swing the deal one way or another. This will be my only camera, so getting the nicest photos across the broadest range of conditions is certainly at the top of the list of priorities.

So for those folks who have experienced them both, is the handling so marvellously upgraded on the 7 to make it the easy choice...or are there any other considerations? I have certainly dealt with Lumix Noise(TM) enough, so for me that extra megapixel on the 7 isn't a selling point. At the same time, I know Panasonic also ironed out a few other quibbles going from the 5 to the 7. In my mind, I certainly fancy myself exploring and exerting as much manual control as practical, but the reality is I'm probably going to happier knowing I've chosen the one that works harder to give me the best pictures.

Many thanks for all the thoughts...and sorry to resurrect a worn-out topic.

I remember that FZ7 images are cleaner and has many more features than FZ5. If the price wouldn't 'swing the deal one way or another', I'd go for FZ7. Why the doubt?
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

I always liked the apearance of FZ5
    but the larger LCD of the FZ would do it for me, features run second

Riley

Not just larger LCD, but larger EVF as well. Small EVF annoys me like hell.. and I have small eyes.
    What part of Aust. are you typing from Riley?
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

G'day Tim
    Adelaide Hills SA