Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

L1 Sample shots.

Hey. Has anyone seen these shots before taken from the L1? I'm a big panasonic fan so i may be seeing these images through one sided opinion goggles.

http://www.photoxels.com/panasonic-l...-gallery.html#

I'm looking at them and i'm VERY impressed with the quality of this camera. If this is consistant image quality it appears to be very much worth it's hefty price tag. I know it shares the same sensor with the E-330 from oly but it just seems to me it's producing better results than i've seen from the oly. Perhaps it's the premium glass. Iso 800 is great and 1600 is fantastic for 1600. Very little color noise at all and the grain structure is as pleasant as grain can be i suppose. iso 100-400 are silky smooth. What gets me is the amount of per pixel detail rendered in these shots even at 100% crop. That's leica glass for you i guess. No purple fringing in that foliage shot but wide open at 2.8 in the picture of the supermarket you do see some around the lights. The pictures of the two lion things show what the image stabilization of that lens can do... 1/10th and 1/15th of a second with excellent results (very little camera shake that i can see but then again that may mean tripod also, who knows.) Of course i wasn't there when the pictures were shot but the color looks great. All in all i'm impressed with these shots. Anyone else have any opinions? I mean i'm not about to go cash in my camera(s) to buy one but i do look forward to what panasonic is capable of putting out for the dslr fans in this and future generations. I can see this line stepping the game up a bit in the future.
    The name is pronounced bonn-gee-bee
    Canon 1Ds Mark II
    Canon 20D + BG-E2
    Canon Elan 7e
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L USM IS
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Canon 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus

While that lens is a nice lens, do not downplay Olympus' lenses. They have some REALLY very good glass in their collection. Of course Leica has a good name, but there are a lot of lens manufacturers that also can make some rather impressive lenses... (Pentax, Zeiss, Canon, Nikon, Olympus).

And no, it is not just your Panasonic fan part that makes you be impressed. The Venus III processor seems to do a good job here, contrary to what you see in other Panasonic cameras. The L1 is really a very good camera, as far as we can tell from this review. And it is not all that expensive either, just look at what a Canon EOS 350D or 30D with Canon EF 17-55 f2.8 IS USM costs you.

So a very promissing camera, and very impressive results considering that it has a smaller sensor than the competition. Definitely worth considering.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Now I'm impressed.
    Let's wait and see how much that unit will cost in Australia.

Most impressive is the shots at higher (and highest) ISO.
    Last edited by tim11; 08-17-2006 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tim11
    Now I'm impressed.
    Let's wait and see how much that unit will cost in Australia.
    If it costs too much you probably will be able to order it from the US from B&H for instance.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by tim11
    Most impressive is the shots at higher (and highest) ISO.
    Yeah man that is VERY impressive because not only are the shots usable but that grain structure is very pleasant and wouldn't wreck a larger print even if it was visible. It protects a lot of the finer detail which most cameras at iso 1600 start mudding over with noise. Granted those are not lower light iso 1600 shots but still, i'm very impressed. The color noise reduction in camera appears to be well done too because there is very little color mud.
    The name is pronounced bonn-gee-bee
    Canon 1Ds Mark II
    Canon 20D + BG-E2
    Canon Elan 7e
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L USM IS
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Canon 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus

Another review, more from a seasoned photographer view point.
    http://luminous-landscape.com/review...sonic-L1.shtml

Thanks for the suggestion Coldrain, but I doubt I will order from overseas. I am in no hurry anyway, lifestyle doesn't allow the time for DSLR just yet.
    Bonjib, a friend commented he doesn't like the look of L1 - IT LOOKS LIKE AN OLD CAMERA. That's the very reason I love it. I guess he never understands.