Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Prepping photos before scanning

I have been using an Epson 2450 for several years now. I just ordered the Epson 4990, and it is to be delivered on the 14th. I am 77 years old and have a ton of film strips, slides, photos that go back as far as the 1920's, and of course batches of digitals starting in the early 80's. I decided to create a DVD with the photos, slides and film strips etc., so that our children, grandchildren (and shortly, great-grandchildren) will be able to see "how it was then", if you will. Using the 2450, the scans are picking up a lot of finger prints on the photos, which with the naked eye, you don't even see. I would like to know if there is anything one can use on the old photos, and possibly the film strips and slides, to safely remove items such as the finger prints. I have read a lot of the reviews on the 4990 and it appears that ICE will correct a lot of the flaws that I am now picking up; however, I would like to know if any of y'all are using something to clean the media I mentioned above. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by orchided; 06-10-2006 at 08:51 AM.

Thumbs up Disregard My Previous Post

Desregard my post below - I found the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by orchided
    I have been using an Epson 2450 for several years now. I just ordered the Epson 4990, and it is to be delivered on the 14th. I am 77 years old and have a ton of film strips, slides, photos that go back as far as the 1920's, and of course batches of digitals starting in the early 80's. I decided to create a DVD with the photos, slides and film strips etc., so that our children, grandchildren (and shortly, great-grandchildren) will be able to see "how it was then", if you will. Using the 2450, the scans are picking up a lot of finger prints on the photos, which with the naked eye, you don't even see. I would like to know if there is anything one can use on the old photos, and possibly the film strips and slides, to safely remove items such as the finger prints. I have read a lot of the reviews on the 4990 and it appears that ICE will correct a lot of the flaws that I am now picking up; however, I would like to know if any of y'all are using something to clean the media I mentioned above. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it'd be nice if you let others know your solution

PeterTheta Guest

Prepping photos before scanning