Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Virtual 360degree Photography

Hello,

I am trying to find out how I can create 360 degree virtual images of houses/rooms etc for interior design purposes so that I can load the 'images' onto a website for viewing. There are companies I am aware of who do this work however I prefer to do things myself and am sick of trawling through garbage on the internet and thought I'd ask here.

Thanks for any help,

Matt

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by matty
    Hello,

I am trying to find out how I can create 360 degree virtual images of houses/rooms etc for interior design purposes so that I can load the 'images' onto a website for viewing. There are companies I am aware of who do this work however I prefer to do things myself and am sick of trawling through garbage on the internet and thought I'd ask here.

Thanks for any help,

Matt
    Lots of software will create panoramas - if that's what you're after?

I am curious how it is actually done - can any type of camera be used? Do I need a special tripod that rotates as photos are automatically taken? What software is then needed? Basically I'm trying to find out the exact process from start to finish of creating virtual images.

Matt

Basically I'm trying to create moving virtual images - sorry should have been more specific. It's not a static panoramic image I need its a virtual moving image that rotates around the room.

Matt

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Yes. I have seen them. I think they're taken on an ordinary tripod with a panoramic head and a fisheye lens. Then they're stitched together with software to produce a 3D effect. I googled 3D Panoramas and found http://www.anything3d.com/

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for? I created this in a hurry using handheld shots from my D50 with the 17-70 lens. I stitched the images using Panorama Maker by Arcsoft. The quality is pretty bad, which is basically caused by the quality of the shots I used. Also, the room I took these pictures in is on the small side for such a panorama.

There is a lot that can be improved. First of all, all shots should be taken with a tripod. Secondly, you should make sure that the turning point is on the front element of the lens rather than the camera itself. Furthermore, the lens I used has some barrel distortion; it would have been better had I taken the shots at 24mm where there's a lot less distortion.

There are many different tools you can use for stitching. The most powerful that I have used is PTGui. The reason I did not use PTGui now is that it takes more time and that I haven't figured out yet how to export to such a dynamic panorama just yet.

Like Rhys said it is also possible to use a fish-eye lens for panorama's. PTGui also supports these images. I have no experience using fisheye images, but the results I have seen are promising. It is more expensive, though.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

Prospero that's exactly what I am looking for, the quality seems fine to me - good enough for my purposes - were they really taken hand held? Not that I doubt you purely I have no real knowledge in digital cameras and thought your panorama was fitted very well for handheld shots. Is Panorama Maker difficult to use? I know Photoshop very well so would it be at all similar?

An example of one site I need to load the image onto is at http://www2.myhome.ie/search/propert...64&np=&type=vt

It is an Irish property web site - would you be aware of whether or not I could place a pano-image created in arcsoft panorama maker on that site? Apologies again I really have little knowledge about this (but learn quick when told how) - I will contact the site admin about it but just thought I'd ask here anyway.

That's great Prospero - exactly what I was looking for - you'll save me a fortune in the long run!!!

Yes, the shots were taken handheld with flash. Arcsoft Panorama Maker is pretty powerful, so it can still stitch the images. However, there are quite some mistakes, for instance the television looks horrible.

Panorama-maker is very easy to use; it only takes a couple of minutes to stich a panorama.

The panorama on the site is not one made with Arcsoft Panorama Maker, nor is it a Quicktime panorama (another output option of Arcsoft). Arcsoft can also export your images as a static Jpeg, and there must be a tool somewhere to convert that to the panorama on the site. The site admin will probably know more about that.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

Only when you say it I see the Television and blind don't quite gel together but if I had a tripod and took pictures every 45 degrees would that suffice to allow the image to be smooth throughout? Or would more photos be required?