Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

thoughts on 35mm f2

Hi,

i'm thinking of the following

1. a new 50mm f1.8D pro- new and cheap, cons a bit too long for an indoor prime perhaps

or

2. a second hand 35mm f2 af - pros, wider than the 50mm, 25cm min focus, cons - 2nd hand, what if no D version.

similar price.

What would you recommend. I don't as yet know if the 35mm f2 af is a D lens or not. How much difference will that make?

cheers,
    www.digitalimaging-uk.co.uk, my galleries, blogs and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Nacoya
    Hi,

i'm thinking of the following

1. a new 50mm f1.8D pro- new and cheap, cons a bit too long for an indoor prime perhaps
    It's also a little bit faster than the 35. A 75mm angle of view, so it's a good portrait length but without the built in great bokeh of the 85mm lenses.

or

2. a second hand 35mm f2 af - pros, wider than the 50mm, 25cm min focus, cons - 2nd hand, what if no D version.
    Better color and contrast than the 50. The current 35mm f/2 is a D lens. I don't know if they made a non-D AF 35mm. I wouldn't worry about it too much. AFAIK, it only has a little impact, mostly on iTTL flash. This is also the "Normal" lens on an APS-C sensor.

similar price.

What would you recommend. I don't as yet know if the 35mm f2 af is a D lens or not. How much difference will that make?

cheers,
    Despite my personal preference for the 35mm, unless you eventually want to have the 50mm f/1.4, both are very nice lenses and it just depends on what you want to use them for. If you do want the 1.4, then I would say go with the 35mm, because it just makes more sense.

thanks for your reply,

good info.

how is the bokeh on the 35mm. Is it good as or better etc than the 50mm.

Has anyone got any particular shots they like with the 35mm ? Also i'd love to know what it'd be like reversed as a macro lens. I have seen plenty of shots with the 50mm reversed but none with the 35mm reversed.

cheers,
    www.digitalimaging-uk.co.uk, my galleries, blogs and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Nacoya
    thanks for your reply,

good info.

how is the bokeh on the 35mm. Is it good as or better etc than the 50mm.

Has anyone got any particular shots they like with the 35mm ? Also i'd love to know what it'd be like reversed as a macro lens. I have seen plenty of shots with the 50mm reversed but none with the 35mm reversed.

cheers,
    I haven't really given it any thought on the bokeh. It's really not a length I'd use for portraits, so I'll have to go back to some of my photos with it and see.

I've not done any lens reversing. I suspect that the same reversing ring can be used with both, since they use the same size filter.