Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Sigma Apo DG version is only 220$ or so. Do yourself a favour and go for the Sigma! You get much better optics and a 1:2 macro mode for free.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    The Sigma Apo DG version is only 220$ or so. Do yourself a favour and go for the Sigma! You get much better optics and a 1:2 macro mode for free.
    yea, except i don't deal in $ (i'm in the uk ) and here you're looking at the thick end of 200 GBP nearly 350 USD

whereas the nikon is 50 quid.

I know it's penny pinching but pennies need to be pinched this year.
    www.digitalimaging-uk.co.uk, my galleries, blogs and forum

SOLD

oh well may now look at the sigma instead . I' think a trip to Glasgow to try out a few is in order.

and it's raining ....

Quote Originally Posted by Nacoya
    SOLD

oh well may now look at the sigma instead . I' think a trip to Glasgow to try out a few is in order.

and it's raining ....

That's life.... But it's clear you're an optimist. A Scot anticipating a "half decent summer" in post 10.
    Nikon D70s user

LOL

ok here's one for ya..

180 quid brand new 70-300 APO DG or 190 quid 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 DG

bearing in mind i have the nikkor 18-70mm already...

I'm thinking 70-300 a. cheaper, b. larger aperture at 300mm, :dunno: and i have a 58mm uv filter already.

against blinkin rotating element. which the 28-300 doesn't have

i'm just off to pick up the 70-300 APO DG i reserved this morning.

I borrowed one from a friend a while back. I think it did well. It seems a very popular lens amongst the contributors to this forum. If it's not raining - post some shots later on today !!
    Nikon D70s user

ok, i mamaged a couple of test shots at the extreme ends. I'm pleased with these results but half a dozen photos standing at my back door don't tell that much however. I use this little wind ornament a lot for test shots as it's always the same size and in the same colour in the same place no matter the light or the weather. I know it's just a static shot, moving targets will no doubt be a different kettle of fish altogether.. The focus is noisy (but then i'm used to the 18-70) and slower but that was already expected.

I did however not really notice 'till i got home that the nikon fit version is a D version with the aperture ring. I didn't kow this. The manual says that when i shoot aperture priority or manual then i must set the f/ uising the ring and at all other times have it locked at f/22. However when i move the aperture ring in aperture priority mode i get an error in the viewfinder .(fEE) So i'm not sure about that. Maybe someone here can explain.

Anyway if you're interested. Both hand held (yes hand held - i surprised even myself) both iso 800. Both are exact same size 100% crops. No PP except resizing.

1. f/11, 1/30s, 70mm

2. f/8, 1/80, 300mm

and just for good measure 2 shots at 300mm about 4-5 feet from subject.

this one std (ie. not macro mode), so no focus.

this one with the macro switch thrown

more when i get some decent subjects and weather.

what d'ya think ?

Pretty good job of handholding 300mm at 1/80th - I drink way too much coffee to manage that

As for the "D" lens aperture ring: the only D lens I have is the Nikon 50mm - per the instructions I leave that locked at f/22 and change the aperture using the camera wheel in 'A' mode... I think you use the wheel alone to change shutter speed and hold the Exposure comp +/- button down while moving the wheel to change aperture in 'M' mode. may be the other way round - I haven't used 'M' mode much yet so can't remember and I'm too lazy to go upstairs to get the manual/camera right now.
    D300 | MB-D10

18-105MM F/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR | 105mm f/1.8 AI-S | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR | 80-200 f/2.8 | 50mm f1.4 | SB-900 | SB-600

this is the bit from the lens instruction sheet that is confusing me ..