Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Post Which UltraZoom camera should I buy?

I have been searching for the right UltraZoom camera for some time now, but I think I can use some help now. There are just too many alike cameras...
    I appreciate every help you can give.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

I want to spend less than $400

Size

Doesnt matter

Features

About 5MP
    UltraZoom
    Image Quality >8, but not professional
    Manual controls are not important

General Usage

Mostly while travelling the world. Also at birthdays, weddings, the usual
    No poster format.
    I will use it in low-light situations
    No sports photos

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? no
    Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    I read about Panasonic Lumix FZ5
    I'd prefer Image Stabilization

Right now I would choose the Panasonic F7 or Canon IS2. But to be honest: If I were you I would wait for the Canon IS3 which is coming in May. It will be a great cam for sure...

But the FZ7 does not have a lot of better features than the FZ5. And what will the IS3 cost?

And isn't the FZ5 better than the IS2???

The Fuji FinePix S5200 is the king of low light (photos without the use of flash) for ultra zoom cameras.

its very nice, sadly its not image stabilized. I'll got it for sure if its stabilized.

High ISO + Stabilizer = king of low light

FZ7 is cheap IIRC, cheaper than Sony and Canon's
    dont take me seriously

Quote Originally Posted by T!m
    But the FZ7 does not have a lot of better features than the FZ5. And what will the IS3 cost?

And isn't the FZ5 better than the IS2???
    The FZ7 has a higher ISO range as the FZ5. The pictures in high ISO will be very noisy, but you'll have the choice of post-processing the images via a noise reduction software or plugin for Photoshop or the Gimp...anyways, I would go for the Canon IS3, because I simply love the "Canon Color" and the ability to record movies with stereo sound. The IS 3 will cost around $500, but it will be worth the extra money (I guess)...

As the S3 IS will be too expensive for me, I will have to choose between the Panasonic FZ5/7, the Sony DSC-H1 and the Canon S2 IS.

Which one is best value? Is the Sony really the better low-light performer?

I would buy the FZ7. Good image quality, the best stabilizer, 6 mpx and high iso range...

Why hasnt anyone suggested the Pana FZ20???? Its within your price range and in my opinion, is the best ultrazoom out there, yes, even better than the newer FZ30! It can get a little noisy in low light, but if you can use a flash, it will work just fine for you. I think you should look at this camera!

im kind of a rookie, but...what about the Fuji f11, is that considered an ultra-compact?

Someone else mentioned waiting until May for the Canon IS3 i think it was...fuji f11 also comes out in May, has image stabilization, shoots at 3200 ISO, etc...