Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    oh my I was about ask about prestige camera and noticed it on the list of BAD places to buy from!! damnit and they were so cheap to...back to the drawing board!!

I like this "Where to buy or NOT buy" list.
    Found Digital Foto Club on the good list and ordered a Fuji S5200 at a whale of a deal. HOWEVER my questions about NEW vs remanufactured and Grey market were not answered very clearly. The clerk said many of the cameras they send are "open boxes" (they open to verify everything is inside?).
    I will let you know how things went, as I am scheduled to receive the camera tomorrow (07/18/06).
    I figured what the hey, this board recommended them.

The clerk said many of the cameras they send are "open boxes" (they open to verify everything is inside?).
    Usually..open boxes are returns,demos or floor samples..something that can't be sold as new. So the price may be lower but the risk of a defective camera is higher. As always, you get what you pay for..
    Doug
    Pentax K200D,Pentax 18-250,Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro
    Kodak Z915
    http://picasaweb.google.com/pas49ras

Update on Digital Foto Club, I got my Fuji S5200 and it was a completely NEW and sealed up camera at a great savings. I cast another vote for Digital Foto Club. A-1 price and speedy shipping.
    Whoever was on the phone was a little confusing, but so far so good.
    They DID want to know how and who recommended me to them.
    I told them about this site and this thread.

Tristate

Hi All,

How do you rate Tristate for online ordering? I have found good prices on that site.

http://www.tristatecamera.com/home.php

BizRate has mixed comments. Their rating is given below.

Overall Rating Summary PastWeek PastMonth Past3Months
    Positive 86% 78% 77%
    Neutral 4% 3%
    Negative 14% 18% 20%

Quote Originally Posted by -vm-
    Hi All,

How do you rate Tristate for online ordering? I have found good prices on that site.

http://www.tristatecamera.com/home.php

BizRate has mixed comments. Their rating is given below.

Overall Rating Summary PastWeek PastMonth Past3Months
    Positive 86% 78% 77%
    Neutral 4% 3%
    Negative 14% 18% 20%
    I would have to put Tristate in the "OK" Section as they have a decent rating on Bizrate, a medocre rating on resellerrating, but when you look at sheddingsomelight.com they say the company has been in business (and at the same address) since 1977 - which seems pretty reputable.
    Ken
    Canon dSLR User

Thanks Ken
    Best regards.

Caveat Emptor!

Ktixx,

Thanks for the list of camera e-tailers to avoid. Wish I'd found this forum before I began dcam shoping. About a year ago, I ordered a Panasonic F7K from Digital Liquidators, got the hard-sell call telling me I ordered an imported model and needed to purchase a warranty and all the usual accessories. I cancelled the order and decided to continue using my Canon Rebel Ti SLR for the time being.

I recently ordered a Canon SD700 from Preferred Photo. I believe Preferred Photo is just an efront for Broadway Photo. Once again, got the hard-sell call informing me that I had ordered an imported model (Ixus 800), etc. Decided to cancel this order as well.

I still needed a dcam and decided I would only order from Newegg or Crutchfield as I've ordered other products from these trusted vendors in the past. In the meantime, I test drove a Panasonic DMC-TZ1 and decided to go with it. Newegg was out of stock on the TZ1K (Black), so I ordered one from Crutchfield. Should be here tomorrow.

Thanks again for compiling your list. The fact that both of my negative experiences were with vendors on your "Bad" list, in my opinion, supports the accuracy of your list. In the future, I'll do my homework before I begin shopping and save myself the hassle of dealing with unscrupulous e-tailers.

JMBZ71

You are correct, Preferred Photo is part of Broadway Photo (according to www.sheddingsomelight.com). I am not sure how they slipped through my list as I had all the other Broadway fronts on there (They have now been added) . But anyway, thanks for the kind words and glad I could be of help
    Ken
    Canon dSLR User

THANX!!! This is a GREAT resource that I am sure will be added to MANY bookmarks! (including mine!)
    3˚ Master Mason hailing from Hiram Abiff Lodge No. 16 PHA F&AM (MWPHGLofNJ)