Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

annoying clicking sound from D50 body

I'm a DSLR newbie. Just got my D50. When I move or shake the body, with or without battery, I always hear a clicking sound. Is this normal? I've got about 60 pics, they all look good, so the camera is working well at least. But what is that sound?

Happy holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by dodoei
    I'm a DSLR newbie. Just got my D50. When I move or shake the body, with or without battery, I always hear a clicking sound. Is this normal? I've got about 60 pics, they all look good, so the camera is working well at least. But what is that sound?

Happy holidays!
    Go down to your local camera store and see if their display model does the same thing. If no... contact Nikon service. Couldn't hurt to have it checked out.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

michaelbradley Guest

Mine does the same and it is driving me crazy too!

I just got my D50 via mail order and when you move it around, it sounds like a small piece is loose. I took the lens off thinking a part will fall out but it did not...

I have a panasonic digital that makes a strange noise but it does not sound like a loose piece.

Anyone else having this aggravation...?

5 pictures and they look great so far... I mail ordered mine and have a very small window!

Do you always hear the sound? My D50 always has it, with or without batery, power on or off and flash poped out or closed. I can hear the sound even I move or rotate the camera body very slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbradley
    I just got my D50 via mail order and when you move it around, it sounds like a small piece is loose. I took the lens off thinking a part will fall out but it did not...

I have a panasonic digital that makes a strange noise but it does not sound like a loose piece.

Anyone else having this aggravation...?

5 pictures and they look great so far... I mail ordered mine and have a very small window!

Sound

Pop-up the flash and see if the sound is gone. When I got mine I had same question. It happened to be something in the flash mechanism.
    Nikon D50, Sigma 18-200, Tamron 28-75

I digged out your post actually. It's great you are still around. Mine still has the noise flash poped or not. So yours doesn't have any noise at all after poping up the flash? Now I think I really need to resturn this one. And it seems to have a big cluster of dark pixels, I didn't know this DSLRs were really fragile. Normally, how many bad pixels do you expect in a DSLR sensor? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NEL
    Pop-up the flash and see if the sound is gone. When I got mine I had same question. It happened to be something in the flash mechanism.

Can you show a cropped detail of a photo that shows the black spot?
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Attachment 7068

This is an example. The darker area is in every pic I took. It's actually quite big. This camera is brand new. I looked at the lens and body, but didn't see any noticeable dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    Can you show a cropped detail of a photo that shows the black spot?

It looks like a spec of dust somewhere, either on the back of the lens or on the sensor. You can get rid of it yourself with an appropriate blower from a camera shop. It is not a damaged sensor.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

The clicking sound is quite normal - all D50's do it.
    It's the orientation sensor that identifies whether the camera is in portrait or landscape mode. It's a little ball bearing hence the noise.
    This is actually one of the most asked questions by new D50 owners. There are hundreds od threads scattered around the Internet about this and a cursory search of any DSLR camera forum would have provided an answer.