Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Twilight over Scotland

I have never posted any real images (other than of the camera kit) using my month old Canon S2 so I thought it time I did.

This was a somewhat surprising sight from my home office window this evening as these evening skies are few and far between in Scotland at this time of year.

I have done no PP except resizing. I love the S2 and am starting to get to grips with it although i'm still having stability and focus problems at full zoom but I suspect that's entirely down to my movement.

If you wish to, you can see a few more pf my first pics in my new photoblog at my new site which i might add has only 2 pages (which in themselves aren't finished) so far so follow the photoblog image links. Please feel free to rate the images and leave comments if you wish. I'm trying to put various shots up, at least one per day to help me in my learning. Please remember that I am new to this camera as well as being a very inexperienced beginner.

http://davidlamarra.co.uk

cheers ...............

Scottish autumns

That was a very nice shot. Colours were very intense. I can sympathisize with your comments about the weather. Just a bit to the west of you on the small island - but equally bleak at this time of year.
    Nikon D70s user

Ooh, the sky part of the photo is really lovely. But the trees are entirely blacked out, making the whole scene kind of flat and dull. As you will learn, this is a case of wide dynamic range that your camera's sensor just can't handle. There are a number of ways this can be handled: one would be to give more exposure and then try and lower the contrast during post processing, using curves or levels. Another way would be to use RAW, shoot as near to the high end of the spectrum as possible, and then bring down the highlights and pull out the shadows in RAW developing; a third way would be to combine two or more exposures, each one exposed for a different part of the dynamic range of the scene. There are a variety of techniques for doing that, too, and most require a tripod, to keep registration on line.
    Good luck and keep at it.

One thing I would add: if you deliberately wanted to keep the trees black, just for their silhouette, I'd raise the camera just a bit more into the sky, to reduce the amount of black on the bottom. Just another opinion!
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

A very good effort and also a great example for learning with - I like the shot
    anyway. - I quite like the silhouet effect. It's a difficult one to improve on - I have just done a very quick small tweek to bring up the forground a tad. No offence meant - just throwing in ideas. Please keep them coming.
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

very nice shot. i like the original better. the silhouette effect is nice and hides unwanted details - looks like you took the shot somewhere in the wilderness.
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4