Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

How to set D50 to "bulb"

Anyone know how to set shutter speed to "bulb"? I've got it in Manual mode but as I turn the dial the shutter speed goes all the way down to 1 and then starts back up again. What am I missing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nwpoland
    Anyone know how to set shutter speed to "bulb"? I've got it in Manual mode but as I turn the dial the shutter speed goes all the way down to 1 and then starts back up again. What am I missing?

Thanks
    You may have to set "bulb" in the main menu since it is not a normal shutter speed setting.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    You may have to set "bulb" in the main menu since it is not a normal shutter speed setting.
    I kind of thought that...but oddly enough couldn't locate it in the main menu and the user guide really doesn't explain it well enough. Just hoping someone here had a D50 and knew.

Thanks George

Edited: I've taken a screenshot from the user manual of the page that seems to deal with the bulb setting the most. That's funny b/c this page hardly says anything about it, just that it has to be set in Manual mode.
    Last edited by nwpoland; 09-02-2005 at 11:05 PM.

Lightbulb Figured it out...I'm a dork :-)

Here's what happened...
    When I set the camera to "M" and began turning the dial to set the shutter speed, it seemed like after increasing the value past 1 it would turn around and begin decreasing...so I never took it any further that way (until a few secs ago). So, after being annoyed that I couldn't figure it out I sat for awhile messing around. I finally thought everything through (works better at 8am than at 1am for me) and realized that the shutter speed continued increasing and lo-and-behold found the "bulb" setting at the highest end of the range.

So, in the future if anyone searches the forum for a similar thing, maybe my "goofball-edness" will help them out too.

Quote Originally Posted by nwpoland
    Here's what happened...
    When I set the camera to "M" and began turning the dial to set the shutter speed, it seemed like after increasing the value past 1 it would turn around and begin decreasing...so I never took it any further that way (until a few secs ago). So, after being annoyed that I couldn't figure it out I sat for awhile messing around. I finally thought everything through (works better at 8am than at 1am for me) and realized that the shutter speed continued increasing and lo-and-behold found the "bulb" setting at the highest end of the range.

So, in the future if anyone searches the forum for a similar thing, maybe my "goofball-edness" will help them out too.
    Yeah, sorry that I could not get back to you last night. On the D70 you use the thumbwheel to set this and since the D50 doesn't have one I wasn't sure if you used the front setting whee for this or not.

Hey don't feel bad, I've had the D70 for 18 months and I'm still finding things I didn't know I could do.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/