Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

wishing I had not bought the d70 and all the lenses

I feel Ive done my research, I have lens coming out my ears, always slightly not quite right one for the job or camera. My latest 80-400vr is a piece of crap, have been in touch with nikon and from their answers I know whats coming next. Can anybody relate out there?

Could you be a bit more specific about what's going wrong? Perhaps you could post some photos to illustrate this.

The 80-400 VR is a decent (but outdated) lens, but not worth the price tag. It's badly in need of a replacement.

80-400mmvr

the only bad thing I ever heard was regarding the slow focusing, well if i'm sneaking around looking wildlife I figure thats workable it does fair pictures and a couple good one if lighting is perfect...I had a beautiful owl jump on this rock and give me a stare down, took many pictures, with different exposures, shutter speed, iso's just to make sure my bases were covered, not one was sharp enough, my olympus point and shoot would have done better. I tried send raw samples to nikon, "well its eighter the camera or the lens" I paint a bundle for this my 70-300 for $250.00 is tack sharp colmparded to this wildife has to be sharp and close, I changed the focus screen, no wonder people have such trouble keeping it clean, it made of plastic and wil scratch with Q-tip I think I can get a clearing shot at 400mm handholding with the vr off but try zooming and croping the truth comes out. hate to vent on my first post but I can find anybody that isnt happy with the thing.. any advice will be appreciated...........

Quote Originally Posted by badgerjh
    the only bad thing I ever heard was regarding the slow focusing, well if i'm sneaking around looking wildlife I figure thats workable it does fair pictures and a couple good one if lighting is perfect...I had a beautiful owl jump on this rock and give me a stare down, took many pictures, with different exposures, shutter speed, iso's just to make sure my bases were covered, not one was sharp enough, my olympus point and shoot would have done better. I tried send raw samples to nikon, "well its eighter the camera or the lens" I paint a bundle for this my 70-300 for $250.00 is tack sharp colmparded to this wildife has to be sharp and close, I changed the focus screen, no wonder people have such trouble keeping it clean, it made of plastic and wil scratch with Q-tip I think I can get a clearing shot at 400mm handholding with the vr off but try zooming and croping the truth comes out. hate to vent on my first post but I can find anybody that isnt happy with the thing.. any advice will be appreciated...........
    Even Nikon and Canon have lenses that sneak through QC. Just send it back to Nikon and have them recalibrate. Should be "fine as fox fur" when you get it back. Most lens companies will do this.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Even Nikon and Canon have lenses that sneak through QC. Just send it back to Nikon and have them recalibrate. Should be "fine as fox fur" when you get it back. Most lens companies will do this.
    If nothing else, there's a good reason for this. Remember, that lens wasn't made across the street. It was made across the world. It's changed hands numerous times to get to you. You hope that it was always handled carefully, but I've worked retail and I know better. So, it's quite possible that the lens left Nikon in perfect shape.

Cheers,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by erichlund
    If nothing else, there's a good reason for this. Remember, that lens wasn't made across the street. It was made across the world. It's changed hands numerous times to get to you. You hope that it was always handled carefully, but I've worked retail and I know better. So, it's quite possible that the lens left Nikon in perfect shape.

Cheers,
    Eric
    Good point Eric. Even at the factory, after QC, the packaging crew may drop one or two. Not likely that the packaging person will send it back to be checked.

A quick note to badgerjh: I have used Nikons customer service twice, in 8 years, and found them to be very helpful, especially with pro and prosumer products. So what you should see next is a note to return the lens and to expect a 7 working day turn-around (not counting transit time).
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

I would send it back while it's still under warranty. I tried a bunch of long zooms and the 80-400 VR is the first one I've found that's acceptably sharp for me- I probably get around 90% keepers with this lens.

Quote Originally Posted by BigConig
    I would send it back while it's still under warranty. I tried a bunch of long zooms and the 80-400 VR is the first one I've found that's acceptably sharp for me- I probably get around 90% keepers with this lens.
    Very nice. EXIF data says 400mm @f8 and 1/500sec. Can we assume hand held?

Thanks.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Gorgeous, I love raptors. I'll give you this, at least you have no blobs of crap on your sensor, which is more than I can say about my D70. In a shot like this, mine would show garbage dead-center, and a little northwest of center most of the time. If you have sensor crud, did you hide it with the bird? Sorry for being a dummy, since I "think" I know birds of prey, but is it a peregrine?

Quote Originally Posted by thesween
    Gorgeous, I love raptors. I'll give you this, at least you have no blobs of crap on your sensor, which is more than I can say about my D70. In a shot like this, mine would show garbage dead-center, and a little northwest of center most of the time. If you have sensor crud, did you hide it with the bird? Sorry for being a dummy, since I "think" I know birds of prey, but is it a peregrine?
    Clean the sensor. It's really not rocket science. Or blow $35 and have it professionally cleaned. If you have a camera repair shop in you area, most offer this service now.
    Ha! See, I can change...