Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Ultracompact with 7.1x zoom?!

Ricoh is allegedly going to introduce an ultracompact camera with a 28-200 mm lens. This camera has virtually the same dimensions as a Panasonic FX series camera or a Canon SD500.

Ricoh Caplio R3

• 5.0 effective Megapixel CCD
    • F3.3-4.8, 7.1X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 28 -200 mm. Image stabilized (mechanical way)
    • 2nd Generation Imaging Engine (like DIGIC II)
    • 2.5" LCD display (114k pixels)
    • ISO 64-800
    • Fast startup speed of just 1.0 seconds
    • 2 FPS Burst Rate
    • Macro Focusing down to 1 cm
    • Size: 95 x 53 x 26 mm
    Pictures

Last edited by Rex914; 09-01-2005 at 08:42 PM.

hmmm......... interesting REX. 1 second to extrude the ultra zoom lens and ready to shoot? Do you have a pic of top view when the lens is in full tele? Any manual control?

These are the only picutres I've got besides the same ones for the silver version.

I'm guessing that there should be manual controls, but with Nikon excluding them from the S4, I really have no idea.

Thanks REX. I am just keeping an eye for an ideal side camera for the times when I don't want to look serious carrying Pana FZ20. By all indications, one will come out soon. Some Canons look promising but it will be interesting to see what others come up with.

wavelet Guest

Well, it's here...

The Caplio R3 was just announced (press release here).
    Availability end Sept., though I'm not clear about which markets that applies to.

It's pretty much what the rumors said, and sounds very close to my ideal camera, so I'm really interested in any first-hand experience (or reviews/opinions folk may encounter).

I'm not clear on what the battery type is... The PR says "DB-60" rechargeable (previous Caplios used a DB-50, apparently a double-AA-compatible Li-ion pack). If the DB-60 is proprietary and NiMH AA's can't be used, that's a showstopper.

Minor disappointments:
    • The flash distance seems really weak, which is a bother since an external one can't be used
    • No uncompressed (raw/TIFF) option
    • Only 320x240 movie mode, and no MPEG4

I wonder how well the CCD-oriented I.S. system works, and really curious about the utility of the "skew correction" function. Does Ricoh think many folks will use the camera as a portable photocopier?

No Shutter/Aparture/Manual mode? Yeah... the flash range is quite weak...