PDA

View Full Version : Trashing SD cards.

bebran
07-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Hi.

I've just trashed my second 1GB X4Store high speed SD card (made by Toshiba) and I'm not sure what happend.

I'm using a Panasonic DMC FZ5 camera and HP/Compaq nc6000 laptop built-in SD card reader. It seems like leaving the SD card in the laptop card reader while doing a full power cycle (shutdown and start) will make the card(s) unable to receive data. I haven't tried this with my original 16MB ( :eek: ) Panasonic card, so I'm not sure if it's the laptop card reader or the X4Store card whose to blame.

Anyone had similar problem?

Ray Schnoor
07-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi.

I've just trashed my second 1GB X4Store high speed SD card (made by Toshiba) and I'm not sure what happend.

I'm using a Panasonic DMC FZ5 camera and HP/Compaq nc6000 laptop built-in SD card reader. It seems like leaving the SD card in the laptop card reader while doing a full power cycle (shutdown and start) will make the card(s) unable to receive data. I haven't tried this with my original 16MB ( :eek: ) Panasonic card, so I'm not sure if it's the laptop card reader or the X4Store card whose to blame.

I can't see any reason that a power cycle on a laptop would affect the performance of a SD card, but it seems that maybe you should not leave it in the laptop during a power cycle.
Ray.

D70FAN
07-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Hi.

Try reformating the card in the camera.

bebran
07-06-2005, 10:56 PM
The SD card will not format, I've returned it to the store and asked for another brand.

In the mean time I've been testing a std. 256 Kingston card and there has been no problems doing full power cycles on my laptop - no more X4Store cards for me!