PDA

View Full Version : NiMH battery memory. Fact or fiction?

floating
07-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Being new to Digital, I have a question on NiMH batterys. Does the NiCd "Memory" effect really exist, or not?
I've been testing NimH batteries, but with inconclusive results. Some tests indicate it exists, while others say the opposite.
Manufacturers have conflicting views, and the camera I own (Fuji Finepix S7000) has a battery discharge mode.
Whats the real story here?
Thanx.

Josh784
07-06-2005, 01:37 AM
NiCd batteries are much different than NiMh batteries. The memory effect absolutely exists with NiCd batteries - try to completely discharge them before every recharge to get the most life out of them. You should also wait an hour or two after discharging them before you begin to charge. MiMh batteries are a big improvement. Memory retention is minimal. I would recommend fully discharging maybe every 10th charge. You don't have to wait for them to cool to recharge them when using them in low-load applications such as digital cameras.

Hope this helps,
Josh

floating
07-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the info.
I was actually more concerned with the memory efect in the NiMH batteries. I'm pretty familiar with the NiCd effects.
Basically this started when i got what appeared to be memory retaining NiMH batteries. After 2 sets I became concerned. It turned out I had a charger problem, not a battery problem.