PDA

View Full Version : proprietary or AA(A)?

carwx
09-11-2004, 04:21 PM
I've been looking into digitals for a while. I was told at the beginning of my search to go with proprietary batteries and stay away from the AA and AAA ones. This has limited my search to around 5 cameras that have most of the features I want, but none of them have all the features.

My question is this...Is going with a camera that uses AA or AAA batteries OK? What are the pros and cons of proprietary and AA(A)? Are there cameras that use both so if one runs out the other takes over?

Thanks.

Rhys
09-11-2004, 04:39 PM
I've been looking into digitals for a while. I was told at the beginning of my search to go with proprietary batteries and stay away from the AA and AAA ones. This has limited my search to around 5 cameras that have most of the features I want, but none of them have all the features.

My question is this...Is going with a camera that uses AA or AAA batteries OK? What are the pros and cons of proprietary and AA(A)? Are there cameras that use both so if one runs out the other takes over?

Thanks.

Ok from somebody who uses both:
The ENEL1 battery on my Nikon 995 is great. It holds a lot of power. But they're expensive so if the power runs out then I am stuck (sure, I can use a 2CR5 for my 995 - other cameras don't have this luxury). I have used a 2CR5 occasionally.

The AA batteries on my other cameras work just fine. I carry a spare set. i can pick up alkalines just about anywhere so I'm never going to go out and find after I get there, that my battery is flat - this happened once or twice with my 995 (hence the 2CR5 backup was a godsend).

The AA batteries on one camera did die so I popped into a shop and bought some AA alkalines. Very useful.

Bottom line...
If you plan to keep the camera for years (as I do with mine) then ask: will the funky battery be replacable when yours dies in about 3 years time? (Lion and NiMh batteries do die after about 3 years)

AAs are highly unlikely to go out of style for the next 20 years.

The only advantage a short-lived funky battery has is that the camera can be made smaller. But some of those that take AA batteries can be pretty small. The Minolta Dimage X20 is a good example as is the Nikon 3200.