PDA

View Full Version : Card or Reader deletes photos (sometimes!)

vaportrailsf
06-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Hi,
A few times I have brought back our office camera from a field visit, put the card in the reader and discovered the photos were gone. Other times it's fine, they're all there although i did nothing differently.

It's a Sony 256mb Memory Stick Pro card and a SanDisk 1 in 8 reader. I confirm the photos are on the camera before i take the card out. When the reader shows they're gone i put the card back in the camera and indeed they are no longer there.

Anyone heard of defects with the reader or card or anything like this?

Thanks,
Roger

MatH
06-23-2005, 12:41 PM
I don't know the cause of your problem, but try avoiding card readers. I prefer using the camera and it's cable for image transfer. As far as I know every camera users manual recommends if not demands formating the card with the camera it self. Iknow that my camera can't view data (images as well) that are put on the memory card via card readers.
I suspect that your card reader doesn't actually delete the images it just renders them invisible for your camera and the reader.
Use the camera and the USB cable that came with it.

Chucko
06-23-2005, 01:32 PM
It's a Sony 256mb Memory Stick Pro card and a SanDisk 1 in 8 reader.

Does that mean the card reader has a 1 in 8 chance of making your pictures disappear? :D (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

D70FAN
06-23-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't know the cause of your problem, but try avoiding card readers. I prefer using the camera and it's cable for image transfer. As far as I know every camera users manual recommends if not demands formating the card with the camera it self. Iknow that my camera can't view data (images as well) that are put on the memory card via card readers.
I suspect that your card reader doesn't actually delete the images it just renders them invisible for your camera and the reader.
Use the camera and the USB cable that came with it.

I have to disagree on this one, and I doubt you will find many pros or advanced amatures, who agree with the camera as a reader method, especially if the camera is USB 1.1 or or 2.0 Full Speed (same as 1.1).

In my experience I have heard of, and experienced, more data loss and file corruption from camera connection/interface errors than from card readers. I have used various card readers the past 8 years, and never had a problem.

That doesn't mean that this card reader is not defective, but it would be a rare instance for the reader to corrupt the files.

Roger,

My first advice is get a different reader, but don't count the Memory Stick or even the camera out of the equation as well. I have had a few weird things happen with my wifes S85 and the MS interface on my Sony 34W.

Test the new reader with the same MS and camera with junk shots. Also let us know what you find, as it adds to the group data-base.