PDA

View Full Version : NiMH batteries and chargers in the UK?

WiseJoeyD
06-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Hello, and may I crack open some chapmagne on this inaugral post!

Now, with much drunken-ado....

I've been looking for some good recharable batteries and chargers here in the UK. It's been a bit of an uphill battle.

Whilst, thankfully, I have a rather expensive fallback option (thomas Dist. and £££internatioanl shipping fees...!) here on home turf it's nigh on impossible to find some of the recommended ones I've read about.

Indeed, since chargers are apparently half the edeal with getting the most out of batteries I read about Maha.POwerex ones that were good, but again they were nowhere to be found....just noname random batteries.

Anyone sugest stores in UK which supply Maha/Powerex?

Or is there any other brand I should lok for battery/charger wise?

Maqsood mehal
07-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi,
May i suggest that you try the Varta 15 minutes charge and go system.
It may not be as hightech as maha etc.,but it certainly does its job very nicely and that too in just 15 minutes.Imagine that your 4 2000 ma cells get fully charged in the time it takes you to make a cup of coffee.
I have been using it for the last 4 months or so and i am very pleased with its performance.It carries a 3 years warranty and the cells are good for 1000 cycles.
By the way,i bought mine from Jessops <UK>for 40 pounds.<charger with 4 2000ma 'aa' size cells>.I later came to know that you can buy the same product for about half the price from USA.,at Walmart etc.There it goes Under the name of Rayovac.Check Walmart.com for the latest prices.There is yet another charger from Varta called Platinum.,with it you can set the rate of charge as required and it has a lcd display too.I am recomending Varta because of my personal experience--the cells do have that extra oomph.
good luck
maqsood.

Kenyada
07-22-2005, 09:22 AM

I've been looking for some good recharable batteries and chargers here in the UK. It's been a bit of an uphill battle.

Whilst, thankfully, I have a rather expensive fallback option (thomas Dist. and £££internatioanl shipping fees...!) here on home turf it's nigh on impossible to find some of the recommended ones I've read about.

Indeed, since chargers are apparently half the edeal with getting the most out of batteries I read about Maha.POwerex ones that were good, but again they were nowhere to be found....just noname random batteries.

Try http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/

Stick with your first choice. There's nothing better than Powerex, primarily because the charger completely drains the battery then fully charges it again, AND then tops off the charge. That process ensures that your recharged battery will give you topshelf performance.

kathypjax
08-01-2005, 07:58 PM

Is this Joey from Belfast? :confused: If so, you should be able to tell who I am from my name. I am sorry I cannot tell you about batteries in the UK. How come they are so hard to find? I have been looking for a good camera myself. I came across this forum somehow and saw your name. Take care!

Rhys
08-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Try www.dayshop.com. I've always been happy with them. My UK battery charger is actually European and I bought mine from Fnac in Brussels, when I was there a couple of years ago. My NiMh batteries came from Tom Whitehouse's stall in Swansea market. I've been using them for years and they're a heck of a lot cheaper than you'd pay in Argos, Index ad nauseum.