PDA

View Full Version : S2 review

Montana
06-12-2005, 12:50 AM
thx for posting so fast, Jeff.

Very interesting review! I thoroughly enjoyed it. It seems you are crushing other web sites in terms of quickly reviewing cameras people want to read about.

I had a quick question for you - How did the S2 look in the lower resolution movie mode at 30 fps? I guess I will find out soon enough, im just curious.

thx again.

Edd
06-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Jeff:
I agree..super review of the S2. Two comments to add. For those of us with the S1, the S2 ought to be a great next camera. It should be super easy to learn. That's a big plus. In addition, I find that the rotating LCD display is just great for tripod use. ( I suppose that's not an original observation!) One question. What camera profile did you apply when you used NeatImage to reduce the noise of the ISO 400 night shot image? I'd like to get NeatImage, but I'm a bit daunted by the custom profile instructions. Thanx.

Jeff Keller
06-12-2005, 07:04 PM
What camera profile did you apply when you used NeatImage to reduce the noise of the ISO 400 night shot image? I'd like to get NeatImage, but I'm a bit daunted by the custom profile instructions. Thanx.

I sort of made my own... just a quick hack. It worked pretty well considering!

mianne
06-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Excellent review, Jeff. Happy that I shouldn't have any real regrets by ordering it before your review was published. I agree about the minor flaws. I.E. Nix the custom colors in favor of a live histogram.

One clarification, there is a case available from Canon for this camera. I'd post the link, but am abiding by the rules. Suffice it to say, a site eponymous of a South American rainforest has it for about $23.

Sigbhu
06-13-2005, 03:13 AM
i was convinced by Jeff's persuasive agruments for the Olympus C750, which i still have. i use the nice long lens not for birds or wildilfe or anything but for people...the best lens for candid photography starts at 400mm. however, the c750 gives me flash options that allow it to double up as a macro camera with very impressive performance. but the sony h1 and the canon s2...DON'T HAVE A HOTSHOE! i know people don't want one (most of them) but i think every camera needs one.

Edd
06-13-2005, 04:43 AM
I sort of made my own... just a quick hack. It worked pretty well considering!

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff Keller
06-13-2005, 11:26 AM
One clarification, there is a case available from Canon for this camera. I'd post the link, but am abiding by the rules. Suffice it to say, a site eponymous of a South American rainforest has it for about $23.

Thanks for this. By the way, just to be clear: posting links to commercial sites is okay as long as you're not making money on the deal.

vamorim
06-19-2005, 05:51 AM
thx for posting so fast, Jeff.

Very interesting review! I thoroughly enjoyed it. It seems you are crushing other web sites in terms of quickly reviewing cameras people want to read about.

I had a quick question for you - How did the S2 look in the lower resolution movie mode at 30 fps? I guess I will find out soon enough, im just curious.

thx again.

Hi!

I also have a question for Jeff or anybody who has an S2 when using movie mode: how does it perform in low light conditions like, for example, in a room with only a 40 watt light bulb or at night in outdoors?

I have a Canon S1 and it has quite noise in those conditions...

How good is the AF beam in photo mode and movie mode?

Since most cameras do a good job shooting movies in good lighting conditions, I suggest that in your reviews you post a couple movie samples in low light conditions, mainly at night (one indoor and other outdoors) so that readers can see what to expect in the worst conditions.

Thanks for the great reviews you have done!

Vamorim