PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in DCRP merchandise?

Jeff Keller
09-06-2004, 09:49 PM
We're nearing the holiday shopping season which is both good and bad for the site. The good is that traffic goes way up and the money really pours in (well, eventually) thanks to holiday ads and partnerships. The bad news is that traffic goes way up and our bandwidth bills are huge.

Now that we have a new design I've been wanting to sell DCRP merchandise as a way to raise a few bucks to cover our bandwidth costs (in lieu of a donation). I've ordered a few sample items and they look great. We can do things like t-shirts, hats, coffee cups, boxers (ha!), and much much more.

The question is: would you buy one of these items to help cover our enormous bandwidth costs and to spread the word about the site? If so, what kind of thing would you want to buy? The sky's the limit!

D70FAN
09-06-2004, 10:30 PM
We're nearing the holiday shopping season which is both good and bad for the site. The good is that traffic goes way up and the money really pours in (well, eventually) thanks to holiday ads and partnerships. The bad news is that traffic goes way up and our bandwidth bills are huge.

Now that we have a new design I've been wanting to sell DCRP merchandise as a way to raise a few bucks to cover our bandwidth costs (in lieu of a donation). I've ordered a few sample items and they look great. We can do things like t-shirts, hats, coffee cups, boxers (ha!), and much much more.

The question is: would you buy one of these items to help cover our enormous bandwidth costs and to spread the word about the site? If so, what kind of thing would you want to buy? The sky's the limit!

Hats, and cups would work. How about camera cases (too specialized?) or camera neck straps. Photographers vest or jacket with the DCRP logo.

John_Reed
09-06-2004, 10:36 PM

The question is: would you buy one of these items to help cover our enormous bandwidth costs and to spread the word about the site? If so, what kind of thing would you want to buy? The sky's the limit!I'd like to see what the distinctive DCRP logo looks like?

Jeff Keller
09-06-2004, 11:55 PM
I'd like to see what the distinctive DCRP logo looks like?

It looks like the one at the top of every page :)

Jeff Keller
09-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Hats, and cups would work. How about camera cases (too specialized?) or camera neck straps. Photographers vest or jacket with the DCRP logo.

Unfortunately we can't do anything that fancy... just going through CafePress here. T-shirts, hats, mugs of all types, thongs (yes, thongs), frisbees, etc.

John_Reed
09-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Unfortunately we can't do anything that fancy... just going through CafePress here. T-shirts, hats, mugs of all types, thongs (yes, thongs), frisbees, etc.Side question, off topic: How come when I "reply" to a "Private Message," the thread is automatically quoted, but not so when I reply to a message on the forum in general?

But Jeff, more to the point, I have a hard time seeing how you'll make any money off of mugs, T-shirts, frisbees, etc. I know I wouldn't buy any for myself, just wouldn't use them for anything. And if you have a bunch made, you have to pay for them, right, whether or not you sell them? Though your site name is well-known among DC aficionados, it's pretty esoteric with respect to the rest of the world. It seems to me you'd be better off just "putting out the ask" to collect donations, and/or maybe even creating a "Subscriber" status, where you'd have to be a paid subscriber to post photos here, or post more than X messages in a month, that sort of thing?

Rhys
09-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Side question, off topic: How come when I "reply" to a "Private Message," the thread is automatically quoted, but not so when I reply to a message on the forum in general?

But Jeff, more to the point, I have a hard time seeing how you'll make any money off of mugs, T-shirts, frisbees, etc. I know I wouldn't buy any for myself, just wouldn't use them for anything. And if you have a bunch made, you have to pay for them, right, whether or not you sell them? Though your site name is well-known among DC aficionados, it's pretty esoteric with respect to the rest of the world. It seems to me you'd be better off just "putting out the ask" to collect donations, and/or maybe even creating a "Subscriber" status, where you'd have to be a paid subscriber to post photos here, or post more than X messages in a month, that sort of thing?

Hmm. Paid subscriber seems to me to be the way to eliminate most of the regulars. Although I do have a credit card, I don't ever use it online - the risk of fraud is much too great. That's not necessarily because the sites are crooked but more because anything passed over the internet can be intercepted.

I do agree that products such as tee-shirts etc are not a good idea. I often wonder who aside from the people that print them make any money from them. I am involved with a number of organisations that produce products with logos. I would no more buy a camera strap that said "Nikon" then I would buy a tee-shirt that said "Adidas". Rather, if I am to sport somebody else's logo, I'd expect to be paid for it as I'd be a walking sandwich board! Hence, whenever I buy jeans, the first thing I do after making sure they fit and are not faulty is to cut the labels off. Of course I and the others I know who also do this might just be oddballs.

I think the donations thing is a good idea. Perhaps if you linked the site to some charity and divvied up 50/50 on the donations, you could be onto a winner although having said that, charities are the greediest and rudest organisations known to man.

D70FAN
09-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Hmm. Paid subscriber seems to me to be the way to eliminate most of the regulars. Although I do have a credit card, I don't ever use it online - the risk of fraud is much too great. That's not necessarily because the sites are crooked but more because anything passed over the internet can be intercepted.

I do agree that products such as tee-shirts etc are not a good idea. I often wonder who aside from the people that print them make any money from them. I am involved with a number of organisations that produce products with logos. I would no more buy a camera strap that said "Nikon" then I would buy a tee-shirt that said "Adidas". Rather, if I am to sport somebody else's logo, I'd expect to be paid for it as I'd be a walking sandwich board! Hence, whenever I buy jeans, the first thing I do after making sure they fit and are not faulty is to cut the labels off. Of course I and the others I know who also do this might just be oddballs.

I think the donations thing is a good idea. Perhaps if you linked the site to some charity and divvied up 50/50 on the donations, you could be onto a winner although having said that, charities are the greediest and rudest organisations known to man.

I think that's a "no" from Rhys. But some of us desert dwellers do wear T-Shirts, and hats as well. But embroidered polo type shirts are even better, and generally pretty reasonable. I have them done for shows and special events, and they are typically pretty inexpensive.

PixChick
09-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Well, I can't honestly say that I would be interested in buying DCRP merchandise but that is just me. Everyone is different and I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few people that would be interested. I wouldn't rush out and have a ton of stuff made, but if you already have sample items with your logo, that means there is a template done--is that right? Then, *usually* the cost of making more items isn't that huge. You are the one that knows the investment to buy and the profit from selling, but my suggestion is to get a small quantity and see how it goes. So if it isn't a hit, you haven't lost too much. Plus, even if a small quantity of people have stuff, that is advertising for your site. I would say, though, don't do this in lieu of a donation, but do it in addition to allowing donations. There are people who won't want to buy something but would just support your site for nothing in return (I can think of one person off the top of my head--me!). As for the paid subscriber thing, I personally think that is a good idea if you do it only for extra privileges, like posting photos or posting more than "x" number of messages per month. That way, everyone has access, but just in a limited way. Plenty of sites do this type of thing, and I don't think it drives people away. Definitely make sure that people can read any of the sections of the site without having to pay, and I think you will be fine. As for the charity idea--it is a good one, but I would recommend against it. You would be surprised at how much red tape is involved. Also, it may be detrimental if you chose charities that some people don't like.

By the way, as a side note, I think the internet is as secure as anything else when it comes to using the credit card. I personally know a few people who, unfortunately, have been victims of identity theft. In no case was the interent involved, but only physical places. And reputable ones at that. There are ways to protect your computer, but how do you protect yourself from the person who has access to all your personal info in their company computer system??

Well, I hope this helps! Take what you want and toss the rest.

PixChick :)

Jeff Keller
09-08-2004, 12:14 AM
Well, I can't honestly say that I would be interested in buying DCRP merchandise but that is just me. Everyone is different and I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few people that would be interested. I wouldn't rush out and have a ton of stuff made, but if you already have sample items with your logo, that means there is a template done--is that right? Then, *usually* the cost of making more items isn't that huge. You are the one that knows the investment to buy and the profit from selling, but my suggestion is to get a small quantity and see how it goes. So if it isn't a hit, you haven't lost too much. Plus, even if a small quantity of people have stuff, that is advertising for your site. I would say, though, don't do this in lieu of a donation, but do it in addition to allowing donations. There are people who won't want to buy something but would just support your site for nothing in return (I can think of one person off the top of my head--me!). As for the paid subscriber thing, I personally think that is a good idea if you do it only for extra privileges, like posting photos or posting more than "x" number of messages per month. That way, everyone has access, but just in a limited way. Plenty of sites do this type of thing, and I don't think it drives people away. Definitely make sure that people can read any of the sections of the site without having to pay, and I think you will be fine. As for the charity idea--it is a good one, but I would recommend against it. You would be surprised at how much red tape is involved. Also, it may be detrimental if you chose charities that some people don't like.

The t-shirts and other products are made as you order them so there's no inventory to worry about. I wouldn't get rid of donation links as that brings in more money than a couple of shirts!

I do not plan to charge for access to the site (in any form) -- unless of course the other sites do it first. ;)

Rhys
09-08-2004, 09:53 AM
By the way, as a side note, I think the internet is as secure as anything else when it comes to using the credit card. I personally know a few people who, unfortunately, have been victims of identity theft. In no case was the interent involved, but only physical places. And reputable ones at that. There are ways to protect your computer, but how do you protect yourself from the person who has access to all your personal info in their company computer system??
PixChick :)

I had somebody putting a 200 bet on a gambling website with my credit card number not long ago. Fortunately the credit card company was on the ball and rang me the next day to enquire about it. Then when they found it was nothing to do with me they cancelled the card and issued a new one. I had no idea there even were online bookmakers.

mikeS
09-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Would you look into branding some flash memory?

Rhys
09-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Would you look into branding some flash memory?

I think branded memory cards, branded lens wipes and branded batteries sound good.

I'm not sure people overseas could buy them but certainly US correspondants could. If you had branded Lexar at a lowish price, that'd work well.

mikejulius102
09-24-2004, 02:27 PM

i would definitely order a hooded sweatshirt

bluepeter 26
11-21-2004, 12:59 PM
A decent case for flash memory - capable of holding 4-6 cards. There are one or two companies that make them, its possible they'd tailor with your logo.
Would make an ideal present to give away, and as I'd use it, I would be advertising the site to those around me whenever I'm using the camera.
More advertising = more punters= better community :)

Pete

freshlightphotographer
11-28-2004, 03:30 PM
I would not buy t-shirts, mugs or anything along those lines for the simple reason that I would never wear it or use it because I have enough of both. The only way to do this successfully would be to have a really high cool factor, which is extremely difficult to pull off for a site like this.

I would, however, like to buy photography related gear like the aforementioned neckstraps, lens caps, etc. If this is not possible, the only other thing I might suggest is a mouse pad or calendar--any item that is cheap and/or renewable that the average person does not already have more than one of. I do know that PhotoAccess, now known as PhotoWorks, has these available.

Pete

smarter_child
11-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Depending on the price, and how the items look, I may or may not purchase DCRP merchandise. It seems like a cool idea, though, especially to avid photographers.

jmpetersen
12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Hey Jeff,

First off - thanks for this great site! I've already saved a boodle of cash, from both your reviews and some of the pricegrabber links. The bummer is that I've saved that money by NOT buying my next camera yet. The Z3 was burning a hole in my virtual wallet until I saw your photo sample page. Now I'm basically fence-sitting between a Cannon S1 or a Konica Z10...

So, that made me wonder, how you could profit from the camera sales that your site helps along. In a perfect world, you could sell a $35 discount card that gives you $50 purchasing dollars (or whatever numbers would work) with one of your "featured merchants." I know for a fact that my next purchase will most likely be through Butterfly photo, because they are always near the low price on each of your reviews, but also because they score so well with the users reviews. That was where dcresource first saved me money - by following the links that let me know what a bunch of finks are running usaphotonation.com! But that's the thing - I know all about Butterfly now, but now by any of their efforts, they owe it all to Jeff!

Thanks again for the fantastic site! I wish you could start in on cell phones, HAHAHAHHAHA! Jim Petersen

Jim Last
12-03-2004, 12:08 PM
freshlightphotographer mentioned calender, and that got me thinking :)

What if you were to run a competition for us to submit shots taken in each month of the year? You could then select your 12 favourites (1 from each month) and produce a DCRP Calender! All users get the chance of apearing in it and it is a useful item that should sell well and you could also use it for sending out to your own business contacts.

pennyberg
12-12-2004, 10:23 PM
I think it would be really cool! I would certainly order some!!!