PDA

View Full Version : Dead nimh batteries or dead camera?

Rex914
06-02-2005, 06:36 PM
I tried taking pictures with my camera today and it refused to do anything. The battery meter was flashing. Batteries are fine. They weren't to full capacity, but they definitely weren't "dead" either.

But that's not my real issue. I'm shocked that the batteries "ran out" so quickly. I normally get about 50 shots with them. This time, I barely got a dozen. This set of batteries claims 1000 charges, and I know that I've not even come close to even 100. Are the batteries dead or is there something wrong with the camera? Both were purchased exactly 5 years ago.

I wouldn't mind this if my 20D were coming in soon, but for reasons beyond my control, that's still pending "approval."

* To make things even more dramatic, none of those shots were flash. And the camera never gave any prior warning about dying out like it always does.

Spadhunter
06-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Try cleaning the ends of the batteries and the contacts on the camera with wetwipes or a paper towel and windex.

If that doesn't work do you have a digital meter (electrical meter)?

Do you have any other sets of batteries to experiment with to see if it's the charger or batteries?

Alex T.

P.S. Try some Alkaline batteries. They shouldn't last too long, but at least 1/2 hour or 30 or 40 pics.

Robert
06-06-2005, 06:15 PM
I tried taking pictures with my camera today and it refused to do anything. The battery meter was flashing. Batteries are fine. They weren't to full capacity, but they definitely weren't "dead" either.

But that's not my real issue. I'm shocked that the batteries "ran out" so quickly. I normally get about 50 shots with them. This time, I barely got a dozen. This set of batteries claims 1000 charges, and I know that I've not even come close to even 100. Are the batteries dead or is there something wrong with the camera? Both were purchased exactly 5 years ago.

I wouldn't mind this if my 20D were coming in soon, but for reasons beyond my control, that's still pending "approval."

* To make things even more dramatic, none of those shots were flash. And the camera never gave any prior warning about dying out like it always does.

I'd almost bet that those 5 year old batteries are over the hill. I've never seen any shelf life specs on rechargeables but I've never had any that lasted more than 3 years whether or not they were used. I'm not sure about NiHh but I know that some NiCd batteries (seldom seen anymore) used a depolarizing agent that was subject to drying out thus leaving the battery
incapable of holding a charge for any length of time.

Rhys
06-06-2005, 07:49 PM
I'd almost bet that those 5 year old batteries are over the hill. I've never seen any shelf life specs on rechargeables but I've never had any that lasted more than 3 years whether or not they were used. I'm not sure about NiHh but I know that some NiCd batteries (seldom seen anymore) used a depolarizing agent that was subject to drying out thus leaving the battery
incapable of holding a charge for any length of time.

Heh. My mobile phone battery was actually a series of AAA NiMh batteries cunningly disguised in a plastic holder to look like something else. After 3 years of sporadic use, that battery was so poor I could make maybe 30 minutes of calls before it died. I sold my phone and the next guy bought a new battery after 6 more months when it was down to a 5 minute conversation before the battery expired.

NiMh batteries last about 3 years. If you had 5 years, think yourself very lucky. Buy new batteries or... claim that the camera's dead and use that as a catalyst to buy a new one :D

Rex914
06-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Buy new batteries or... claim that the camera's dead and use that as a catalyst to buy a new one :D

Tried that. Didn't work. :D

Rhys
06-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Tried that. Didn't work. :D

Lol. Buy her a big bunch of roses and give her the line "Honey. My camera's broke and needs to be replaced or I'm going to be out of a job, broke and we're going to go bankrupt and get chucked out of our home and end up on Skird Row for the rest of our lives".