PDA

View Full Version : Canon - Lexar problem

D Thompson
05-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Canon & Lexar issued a joint statement that a problem exists between a few Canon cameras and Lexar 80x speed cf cards that can corrupt files. Here is the link.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&fcategoryid=215&modelid=10598

Dennis

Rex914
05-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks for sharing. This notice should be pinned or posted on the front page, because many of us use Lexar cards and Canon DSLR combos.

TheObiJuan
05-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Hehe, I have had nothing but excellent experiences with Lexar PRO 80X WA cards and my former 350D and my 20D.
On the other hand the Sandisk Ultra II always gave me corrupt files on my 350D and on my 20D even worse. I went to a state park early this week and lost 4/5 of my images. :mad:

Anyone want to trade a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB for a Sandisk PRO 80X?

D Thompson
05-19-2005, 09:27 PM
On the other hand the Sandisk Ultra II always gave me corrupt files on my 350D and on my 20D even worse. I went to a state park early this week and lost 4/5 of my images. :mad:

ObiJuan - That would upset me too! I have the 20D and use the Sandisk Ultra II (512) and so far have had no trouble with it.

Dennis

Bluedog
05-22-2005, 05:29 AM
Hehe, I have had nothing but excellent experiences with Lexar PRO 80X WA cards and my former 350D and my 20D.

Anyone want to trade a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB for a Sandisk PRO 80X?

Juan at what point did you know they were corrupt? Did you notice if that showed up in the LCD display after taking the shot or was it later uploading them to your computer? How 'bout formatting the card and reusing, did that work? That would be very frustrating to say the least ... :eek:

pslice
06-08-2005, 08:37 AM
I use a Canon Powershot Pro1 w/1GB Lexar 80x card. I've had problems with the Lexar card reader seemingly to wipe my card out, losing all my pix on the card. Not sure what's going on, but wonder if this is part of this same problem, just adding another Canon camera to the mix. :confused:

zippiethree
06-17-2005, 03:56 PM
I lost a few pictures (maybe 1/100) due to corrupted files. When I try to upload the pictures to my computer they look like the attached file.
I am using a Lexar 1GB, 4x card with my brandnew Canon Rebel XT. Is there a way to figure out whether it is due to a user error (what could I do wrong?) vs an issue with the camera and/or card? The press release only talks about the 80x card, correct?

98 SNAKE EATER
06-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Ran into my first problem tonight with my Lexar 80x 1GB :(

I didn't lose any pictures, but I got an "Error CF" message on the camera and now it won't recognize the card :confused:

It shoots fine without the card, but I get nothing but the Error message when I pop it in :(

Heading back to the camera store tomorrow to see what's up...

Rick

98 SNAKE EATER
06-26-2005, 07:34 PM
From Lexar's Website:

http://www-origin.lexar.com/support/cust_advisory.html

LEXAR CUSTOMER ADVISORY
JUNE 1, 2005

To: Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS 20D, and EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS 350D Digital / EOS Kiss Digital N camera customers using Lexar memory cards.

Update: On June 3, Lexar will release a firmware update for its Professional 80x CompactFlash customers who experience a problem with the Canon cameras listed.

Action: To request the firmware update, click on the Return Materials Authorization (RMA) link below. Upon completing the RMA form, a RMA number will be issued. Alternatively, please call the Professional Support line at (510) 413-1233 to be issued a RMA number. (NOTE: Replacement cards cannot be processed without a RMA number). Follow the instructions to send the completed RMA form along with the Lexar product to the nearest Lexar office where the card will be exchanged for a card with the updated firmware. It is not possible to install the updated firmware.

The firmware update applies to the following memory cards:

Lexar Professional 80x-speed CompactFlash 512MB (last 4 digits of card edge stamp is A4B6 or 9171)
Lexar Professional 80x-speed CompactFlash 1GB (last 4 digits of card edge stamp is A4B6 or 9171)
Lexar Professional 80x-speed CompactFlash 2GB (last 4 digits of card edge stamp is A4B6 or 9171)
Lexar Professional 80x-speed CompactFlash 4GB (last 4 digits of card edge stamp is A4B6 or 9171)
For the latest information on Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS 20D, and EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS 350D Digital / EOS Kiss Digital N cameras, please see Canon's website at http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&fcategoryid=215&modelid=10598
To update firmware on your card please visit our RMA page.

Unfortunately, my 1GB 80x Card has an edge stamp of A4B6 :(

I bought it at Ritz Camera and even asked the sales rep beforehand if they were selling old stock or or new cards with the updated firmware and he said they were brand new....

He also said if I had any problems, I could return it, so I hope he keeps his word when I walk in there tomorrow morning :rolleyes:

98 SNAKE EATER
06-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Well, just got back from Ritz....

I turned on the camera and showed him the Error message....

He was not aware of the Lexar 80x problems and didn't bother to look into it even after I told him about it before I bought the card :rolleyes:

When I explained that it was a common problem among Canon users, he insisted it was Canon at fault and not Lexar :rolleyes:

That's when I whipped out the prints from both Canon and Lexar's websites :cool:

I asked for either an exchange for a SanDisk card or a full refund...

Since they didn't stock SanDisk, he gave me the refund and after I checking out some zoom lenses, I was on my way to Circuit City to see what they had in stock...

I see the 1 GB Ultra II's are on sale for $89 bucks....

Would I notice the difference in speed between this card and my old Lexar 80x?? (when it was working at least lol)

Anyhoo, I just noticed in the credit receipt, they credited the full price with tax (I'm tax exempt) + they didn't deduct the $35 rebate which I already sent in days ago lol :p

Rick