PDA

View Full Version : Great Z750 review!

trikster2
05-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Jeff

Really liked the Z750 review. thanks for staying up late to get it done!

I couldn't wait any longer, so I pulled the trigger and got the Z750 about a week before your review posted.

Some comments:

Oversaturation really did not bother us. The effect seemed less in a lot of our late afternoon inside shots with fairly low light (no flash). Outside on a bright day we can see what you mean, kind of reminds me of my old old kodak.

****The left/right buttons on the selector are programable. Thought that was a cool/standout feature.

Shot to shot. I hear what you are saying about the slow shot to shot speed. But it's no worse than my wife's old S100 so she's OK with it. One thing that is cool is the the amazing speed of the 1600x1200 multishot where something like 16 mini shots are put in one image in the space of a second. It's a fun effect for capturing action. For me to create the same image with my Canon S50 would take a lot of time in post processing (unless there is a tool that does it that I don't have) and I'm not sure the S50 even at the lowest res could take pictures that fast.

The EX button on the left if nice for quickly setting commonly used settings.

Manual focus is nicer than my canon S50. The range bar is longer and the big screen is more useful for MF.

The CNET review shows the Z750 to have significantly shorter "shutter lag" (.2 seconds) than the SD500, or even the nikon D70. I trust CNET as far as I can throw them, but if true, that's pretty remarkable.

Overall the speed of everything (other than the shot to shot) on this camera is exceptional. Very snappy. Startup actually startled me the first few times as I was used to our comparably slugish S100/S50

Playback speed and features actually makes the camera useful for reviewing shots, and even editing movies. I can't get over how fast it is to flip between shots compared to my S50/S100.

Unanswered questions from the review: Flash enhancement? Feature similar to Nikon's D-light for increasing lowlight sensitivity. To tell you the truth I have not even found this feature yet, but I would be interested in knowing how it compared to Nikon's implementation.

Jeff Keller
05-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Jeff

Really liked the Z750 review. thanks for staying up late to get it done!

Thanks! I've been getting a lot of crap from people on "that other forum" that thing I was unfair. Please. Of course they all own the camera and want me to say nothing but good things about it so they feel good about their purchase.

****The left/right buttons on the selector are programable. Thought that was a cool/standout feature.

I mentioned this in the review but didn't think it warranted a spot on my pros list.

Shot to shot. I hear what you are saying about the slow shot to shot speed.

I don't think I said anything about it being slow...

Unanswered questions from the review: Flash enhancement? Feature similar to Nikon's D-light for increasing lowlight sensitivity. To tell you the truth I have not even found this feature yet, but I would be interested in knowing how it compared to Nikon's implementation.

Good idea, I'll try to add something about that.

trikster2
05-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Jeff

Misread what you said about shot to shot. I guess I'm impatient and 1.5s seems like forever.

I just went over and read the stuff on "that other forum". Yikes some of those guys are harsh. Reading your review (and owning the camera) I thought you made a pretty good assesment of the camera and I even learned a few things about my own camera by reading the review (just took a few picts of my daughter in her basinet using the natural lite from the window at 7pm to check it out the Anti-Shake best shot mode).

I also missed that you did mentioned the L/R buttons being programable (read the review while jugling my daughter). You are right, it is not necesarily end/of review bullet worthy, but a very thoughtful feature representative of the manual control coupled with ease of use of the Z750. Perhaps I found it so amazing on a compact P/S given our previous camera this size was the canon S100. A greast camera but it really did not let you do much.

You are right, it is a disturbing trend that manufacturers are putting a smidgen of memory in cameras and selling them with out memory cards. Kodak is doing this too and you should hold their feet to the fire. (I got the camera for $399 from costco, and the bundle included a very serviceable 256mb SD card.)

LD500
05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
I also think the review on the Z750 was quite fair. I agree with the vast majority of things mentioned in there, all the important ones.

The only thing I would REALLY hope to see are updated gallery photos shot at Saturation -1 and Sharpening -1. Since oversaturation was a critical flaw, it's only useful to see the photos (at least a couple) re-shot so we can compare them against the competition.

Jeff: Please, you must realize that so many of us are insane about comparing pixel to pixel, camera to camera, all night long. You can't possibly leave us hanging without some re-shot photos in your gallery. We poor obsessed folk don't have access to the other cameras, we depend on your standard location photos in your gallery. Help us out?

Jeff Keller
05-18-2005, 10:11 PM
I also think the review on the Z750 was quite fair. I agree with the vast majority of things mentioned in there, all the important ones.

The only thing I would REALLY hope to see are updated gallery photos shot at Saturation -1 and Sharpening -1. Since oversaturation was a critical flaw, it's only useful to see the photos (at least a couple) re-shot so we can compare them against the competition.

Jeff: Please, you must realize that so many of us are insane about comparing pixel to pixel, camera to camera, all night long. You can't possibly leave us hanging without some re-shot photos in your gallery. We poor obsessed folk don't have access to the other cameras, we depend on your standard location photos in your gallery. Help us out?

I'll see what I can do.

yocky
05-19-2005, 04:01 AM

I agree 100% and was going to make a similar request. I think a significant number of people must be waiting for this to make their minds up about this camera. Thanks in advance. ;)