PDA

View Full Version : Repair corrupted jpegs

dillen
05-10-2005, 01:22 PM
I encounter the following problem with my pictures.
HW: Olympus Camedia C-5000Z with 256MB xD card.

On my last trip I copied my files from the xD card to my 1 MB IBM microdrive using a cardreader.

After the trip I loaded the files to my PC -- and some of the jpeg were corrupted:
- very few: not possible to open at all
- some: possible to open and view, but pictures are weired: blockes are shifted and offset (see attachment)
- most: OK

Question:
* Is there a tool to fix the problem with the strange offset pictures?
* What is the best way to save pictures during a longer trip from a full card w/o having a PC

Thanks in advance
Christof. :confused:

D70FAN
05-10-2005, 02:50 PM
I encounter the following problem with my pictures.
HW: Olympus Camedia C-5000Z with 256MB xD card.

On my last trip I copied my files from the xD card to my 1 MB IBM microdrive using a cardreader.

After the trip I loaded the files to my PC -- and some of the jpeg were corrupted:
- very few: not possible to open at all
- some: possible to open and view, but pictures are weired: blockes are shifted and offset (see attachment)
- most: OK

Question:
* Is there a tool to fix the problem with the strange offset pictures?
* What is the best way to save pictures during a longer trip from a full card w/o having a PC

Thanks in advance
Christof. :confused:

I've had this problem caused by a crappy video card as well. Just for fun, try a different computer. Free advice? In the future never transfer anything, that isn't already backed up, to a microdrive.

There are portable back-up solutions out there with built-in card reader that run from about $299 to $599 (and higher). I take my $800 laptop with me just about everywhere. PQI is the only one I can think of but there are others.

http://www.pqimemory.com/

Also there was nothing attached...

dgrasser
05-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I have a Sandisk 512 MB, Kodak CX6445, and an Easyshare Dock.

I have experienced problems transferring files only twice.

Once when I tried to use my computer's built in card reader and just today when using my dock and the Kodak Easyshare software.

Today, when I tried to transfer the photos, the software indicated that there were 21 pictures, but only showed 5 and two were only partially shown (mostly blocked out).

I then tried to put the card in my computer's card reader and it said that the files/card were corrupted.

I then unprotected the 21 files as I had protected them to delete other files but not them.

I then re-booted my computer, turned off all other programs, including Norton Antivirus and Microsoft Anti-Spyware.

I then put the disk back in my camera dock and this time all 21 pictures came up just fine.

So....I am not sure if it was just the rebooting, turning of the anti virus/spyware software, unprotecting them, or a combination of any of these, but I was able to get all of my photos.

I normally don't have problems transferring files from my camera, but it could have something to do with the fact that I had protected the 21 files, then deleted all of the other ones (from my last transfer), then tried to transfer the protected files.

Anyway, I am glad that I got all the files off the disk.

Oh, and lastly, the fact that I could review all of the pictures on my camera, even though my computer said they were corrupted, lead be to believe that they were still there and that there was a solution.

My advice, try doing any or all of the steps I did before deleting the files or re-formatting your card.

Good luck !