PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Gripes

Sigbhu
05-10-2005, 12:42 AM
jeff,
every time i go to the next page, i see the same old stickies there! why? why don't you keep them all on the first page, and not on all the pages?

Rex914
05-10-2005, 12:54 AM
It's a standard feature of this discussion board software, not a bug at all.

Sigbhu
05-10-2005, 06:31 AM
i know it's a standard feature; why not get rid of it?

Rhys
05-10-2005, 06:33 AM

What I'm wondering is why we don't have a stickies forum.

David Metsky
05-10-2005, 06:47 AM
Because when you buy off the shelf software there are things that you can't change. If you want stickies, this is the way there are implemented. If there is a config switch then it would be fairly easy, but I don't think there is on vBulletin.

-dave-

Geoff Chandler
05-10-2005, 02:24 PM
The only thing I would say is that if a sticky thread has not had any recent posts - say a week or so - then it should be made unsticky and allowed to flow away down the historical tidal flow to the old archives. That way we won't end up with a whole page of stickies only.
Geoff

JTL
05-11-2005, 03:13 PM
What I'm wondering is why we don't have a stickies forum.This is a great idea and would resolve the perceived "problem".

David Metsky
05-11-2005, 03:38 PM
This is a great idea and would resolve the perceived "problem".
Except the problem is not for experienced users who have been on this site for a while. It's for new users who need the Stickies right there on the page when they are going to create a new thread in "Which Camera..." By pushing them off to a serarate forum you'll miss the very people you are trying to reach.

-dave-

JTL
05-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Except the problem is not for experienced users who have been on this site for a while. It's for new users who need the Stickies right there on the page when they are going to create a new thread in "Which Camera..." By pushing them off to a serarate forum you'll miss the very people you are trying to reach.

-dave-good point....

Rex914
05-11-2005, 05:10 PM
The only thing I would say is that if a sticky thread has not had any recent posts - say a week or so - then it should be made unsticky and allowed to flow away down the historical tidal flow to the old archives. That way we won't end up with a whole page of stickies only.
Geoff

That isn't feasible for posts like my "What should I buy?" guide which cannot get any new posts for a good reason. Stickies are there so that all users, new and old can read them at their convenience.