PDA

View Full Version : Casio P505 Review

trikster2
05-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks for a great review on the P505

I had partly discounted the camera based on image quality, and your comments on the overall build quaility put a nail in the P505's coffin.

Now I just need a review on the Z750. It has the same great MPEG4 movie modes as the P505 but it uses the same sensor as the SD500 and so far image quality looks on a par with the Cannon.

A couple of comments on your review:

You comment that Casio does not recommend a high speed card for video as if they are doing something wrong (at least I read it that way). They aren't doing anything wrong, the data rate for recording the MPEG4 VGA video is much lower than the VGA on other cameras. The fact that high speed gigantic cards are not required for high quality VGA video is a "plus" on cameras like this.

You end the review lumping the unreleased Cannon S2 IS in with the only other two MPEG4 cameras (that I know of) on the market. Does the Cannon S2 IS have MPEG4? If so I'm sticking with cannon. If not, reviewers really need to start holding Cannon/Sony/Panasonic's feet to the fire. The size of non MPEG4 VGA movies make them useless for anything more than a few seconds, which is just swell if you are a video camera vendor......

"Mac users take note: you cannot play these movies using QuickTime, and you cannot bring them into your favorite video editor. The only thing I found that could play them was VLC. I did find this strange since QuickTime supports MPEG-4... so if you figure out a way to get it to work, let me know. "

Derick Story in his review of the Casio P505 suggests the following worflow for Mac users:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2005/03/09/casio_p505.html

"Mac Workflow

Capture video with the EX-P505 at its highest-quality settings.

Transfer the .avi files to the Mac using the Casio as a mass storage device or by using a media card reader.

Encode the .avi files to .mov files using ffmpegX.

Note: You'll need tochange the file name for the converted movie because ffmpegX puts two dots in the name, which confuses the QuickTime Player. Just remove the first dot and leave the file extension as ".mov".

Drop the encoded files into iPhoto 5 for cataloging.

Edit in QuickTime Pro or any QuickTime-compatible editor such as Final Cut.

For Windows users, I recommend that you avoid the bundled Photo Loader app to manage your movie files. It's a terrible piece of software. I think working in the file system and using Windows Media Player is easier and more user-friendly. "