PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a deals forum?

Jeff Keller
04-30-2005, 05:00 PM
You know, when you find a good price on cameras or accessories, something like that. We'll have rules so you can't plug your own company...

gabester
04-30-2005, 05:18 PM
You know, when you find a good price on cameras or accessories, something like that. We'll have rules so you can't plug your own company...

Sure. But let us know if the stuff we post ("Digital Rebel XT for $849...") undermines your advertising, thanks.

Rex914
04-30-2005, 05:37 PM
The idea is sound, but there's a huge potential for abuse. There's also the possibility that a deals forum could get so many messages that any truly "legit" deals would be pushed down before anybody could have a chance to seem them.

Jeff Keller
04-30-2005, 06:58 PM
The idea is sound, but there's a huge potential for abuse. There's also the possibility that a deals forum could get so many messages that any truly "legit" deals would be pushed down before anybody could have a chance to seem them.

In what way do you see it being abused?

trikster2
04-30-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm interested.

But the abuse is a real danger.

Look at amazon reviews. These days everyone starts with something like "This camera is great I got one free at www.freecamera.com" (unless they've fixed it)

Other than the freecamera scams another source of abuse would be from the vendors themselves. Everytime "joe blows camera store" takes $2 off the cannon SDwhatever how do you stop them from posting?

I just posted that Costco has a good deal on the "where to buy a camera thread". Did I violate forum rules? I have no financial interest in costco (but I am a member), I was just sharing stuff from my camera shopping craze (initiated by a new daughter).

Jeff Keller
05-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Look at amazon reviews. These days everyone starts with something like "This camera is great I got one free at www.freecamera.com" (unless they've fixed it)

These posts aren't tolerated now and they wouldn't be in the deals forum either.

I just posted that Costco has a good deal on the "where to buy a camera thread". Did I violate forum rules? I have no financial interest in costco (but I am a member), I was just sharing stuff from my camera shopping craze (initiated by a new daughter).

That's fine. And that's exactly why I want to create a central forum for such things.

gary_hendricks
05-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Jeff, not a bad idea. But I'd agree with the rest that we have to be careful about the posting of scam deals.

Fred
05-02-2005, 04:16 PM
I like the idea a lot, but as others have said, it might be hard to police. Hopefully you can figure out a way to do that.

Rhys
05-02-2005, 04:28 PM
But we already have a deals forum... It's called Pricegrabber.

D70FAN
05-02-2005, 05:27 PM
But we already have a deals forum... It's called Pricegrabber.

If only that were true. I have found a lot of places that have better deals than are listed on price grabber.

Rhys
05-03-2005, 05:43 AM
If only that were true. I have found a lot of places that have better deals than are listed on price grabber.

I've not seen much better on pricerunner, dealtime etc.

Rex914
05-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I'd say that the best use of this forum is for those lesser known or lesser advertised deals. There are already tons of sites that dole out Dell coupons and report every price drop that Amazon makes. This forum should be for reporting things like the occasional Costco deal or the Micro Center blowout I've been tooting about for the past month (that finally happened).

I still don't know how you'd be able to regulate it. It could still turn into a mush unless strict technical regulations are in place.

trikster2
05-07-2005, 04:20 PM
akkk. they found us even without a dealz forum

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7949

StanStan
05-08-2005, 07:32 AM

I purchased an FZ20 from Circuit City, cards from NewEgg, lens adapter from Phayee, etc. All these were sugestions from members in the Panasonic Thread.

I am definately for a Deals Column.
I also have things I would like to sell. [good deals]

I also know 'buyer beware' problem.

In any case the buyer must take diligent care and know prices.

Sigbhu
05-12-2005, 10:55 PM
how will you regulate the deals, and make sure they are legitimate? it will be impossible to ensure that there aren't chaps flasely claiming low prices or forgetting to add taxes.