PDA

View Full Version : Konica Minolta Dimage Z5

Brian2828
04-24-2005, 08:52 PM
I'm planning to buy an 10+ optical zoom camera w image stabilization in the next two weeks. I would really appreciate some advice on this choice. I'm leaning towards the Konica Minolta Dimage Z5. Although the Panasonic FZ5 gets overall better reviews, the Konica is much closer to my budget. I plan to take mostly nature and travel pictures and don't plan to blow up anything beyond 8X10. I'd really like to stay under $400.00 and can get the Konica from buydig.com for $380 with shipping.

Are people pretty happy with this camera?

The funky style of the konica concerns me. Has anyone found it be awkward to use? carry?

Am I likely to regret going with the Konica over the Panasonic?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Rex914
04-24-2005, 09:08 PM
I think you'll regret getting this camera as it suffers a bit in the image quality department. Instead, consider getting one of the cheaper Panasonics. I can't remember clearly, but I recall the FZ15 in particular as being closed out by Fry's for something cheap like $300 or $350. If not, you could always go with the FZ3 or FZ4. Do you really need 5 MP?

Brian2828
04-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the information. I think I need to consider the Panasonic more strongly. What is Fry's?

The main reason I want to go with 5mp is that I want a camera that I can crop and enlarge. I think I would regret going with 4mp to save some money. I'd like this camera to be very functional for the next 5 years.

gary_hendricks
04-25-2005, 07:37 AM
I own the Panasonic Lumix FZ20 (http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz20-review.html) and if the FZ5 is anything like it, I'd say go with the FZ5. ;)

Rex914
04-25-2005, 04:48 PM
If you want to future proof the camera, go with the FZ20. It has a nice body to it and has a better lens. If you can't, you'll still be happy with the FZ5 which is smaller, lighter, and more plasticky.

g00ber
04-28-2005, 06:54 AM
I bought the Konica Minolta Dimage Z3, and took it back 3 days later because of the image quality issues with that camera. Then I bought an FZ20. Its heavier, but it feels like a real camera, and not just a piece of plastic. And the image quality is fanstastic.

I think the lens is fine on the Z3, but its what the camera does internally to soften the shot that makes it come out so bad.

You'll find that it looks like all your shots are taken with a softened lens on it -- things are just not as sharp as they should be.

Take a look at the reviews here to see for yourself.