PDA

View Full Version : low-light-pics in gallery

A80-user
08-28-2004, 08:13 AM
I'd find it helpful if you posted some night/indoor photos in the review galleries to show how the cameras perform at worse lightning conditions.
besides I'd prefer some photos at different ISO settings, just to see how noise increases

thanks,

A80-user

John_Reed
08-28-2004, 09:10 AM
I'd find it helpful if you posted some night/indoor photos in the review galleries to show how the cameras perform at worse lightning conditions.
besides I'd prefer some photos at different ISO settings, just to see how noise increases

thanks,

A80-userHere's one of the photos there:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a80-review/nightshot2-tb.jpg
It's lodged in Jeff's review right above a sequence of night shots taken at different ISOs, from 50 to 400. To find his review, click "Reviews & Info" at the top of this page, and click on the "Review" button in line with the Canon A80.

PixChick
08-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Here's one of the photos there:
It's lodged in Jeff's review right above a sequence of night shots taken at different ISOs, from 50 to 400. To find his review, click "Reviews & Info" at the top of this page, and click on the "Review" button in line with the Canon A80.

While the nightshot is covered in the review, there are very few indoor photos in the galleries--at least from what I have seen, and it would be nice to get some samples with each camera. I think a lot of people that visit this site would be very interested to see some indoor shots to help them in assessing the cameras. Not a nightshot, just indoors. I have seen a few in the galleries, but they are rare. I think it would probably be a welcome addition to this site for many people. I am sure that a lot of people that read this site want to take indoor pics of kids, friends, etc., and really would like to see what will happen when they do.

Just a thought

PixChick :)

D70FAN
08-30-2004, 08:49 AM
While the nightshot is covered in the review, there are very few indoor photos in the galleries--at least from what I have seen, and it would be nice to get some samples with each camera. I think a lot of people that visit this site would be very interested to see some indoor shots to help them in assessing the cameras. Not a nightshot, just indoors. I have seen a few in the galleries, but they are rare. I think it would probably be a welcome addition to this site for many people. I am sure that a lot of people that read this site want to take indoor pics of kids, friends, etc., and really would like to see what will happen when they do.

Just a thought

From my own experience taking indoor shots is very time consuming and repeatability is difficult without specialized lighting, which would defeat the purpose of the test. Ask any person making thier living from portraits and interiors, compared to landscapes and well lit sports.

So Jeff uses the red-eye test since this is the primary complaint from most people about indoor shooting. Any camera with a half-decent flash and AF illuminator should do ok indoors. Jeff does comment on both of these traits in the text.

Jeff Keller
08-30-2004, 10:28 AM
From my own experience taking indoor shots is very time consuming and repeatability is difficult without specialized lighting, which would defeat the purpose of the test. Ask any person making thier living from portraits and interiors, compared to landscapes and well lit sports.

So Jeff uses the red-eye test since this is the primary complaint from most people about indoor shooting. Any camera with a half-decent flash and AF illuminator should do ok indoors. Jeff does comment on both of these traits in the text.

What he said. I am trying to remember to add an inside shot here in my house but that's about all I can promise. You can't please everybody, as I've learned!

PixChick
08-30-2004, 11:51 AM
What he said. I am trying to remember to add an inside shot here in my house but that's about all I can promise. You can't please everybody, as I've learned!

I'm sure that the average consumer would really appreciate that one shot in your home and I don't think they are looking for a studio portrait. Just a basic shot like one they would take--no special lighting or anything. You are right though--you definitely can't please everybody, and sometimes it seems like you--not you personally--can't please anybody! I think this thread is just a suggestion that a lot of people would appreciate, but no one is going to quit visiting this site for a lack of indoor shots.

Ben Miller
08-30-2004, 09:43 PM
Just a basic shot like one they would take--no special lighting or anything.
The trouble is that such a shot doesn't necessarily tell you anything, especially if you're trying to compare cameras. A shot taken in a room with afternoon sun will look very different than a shot taken after dark using only interior lights. It'll even look different if it's taken on a cloudy winter day rather than a sunny summer day.

It's a good suggestion, but pulling it off well is somewhat more complicated than it appears.

That said, I do somewhat agree with the original poster on the noise issue. One of the major issues with today's consumer-level digicams is noise. Jeff's night shot pics work fairly well for comparing different models, but I find it difficult to get a good idea of how those results translate into everyday low-light (i.e. indoors) picture-taking. No one is going to put their camera on a tripod, aim it at the skyline, and then jack up the ISO. Some sort of repeatable, artificial light-only scene would give the reader an idea of what ISO 400 looks like under "normal" conditions. Just don't ask me to design the set-up. ;)

PixChick
08-30-2004, 10:18 PM
The trouble is that such a shot doesn't necessarily tell you anything, especially if you're trying to compare cameras. A shot taken in a room with afternoon sun will look very different than a shot taken after dark using only interior lights. It'll even look different if it's taken on a cloudy winter day rather than a sunny summer day.

Very true, but you could argue in the same way about outdoor shots as well. I see people constantly bickering about that in some other threads (other sites actually). They say things like (and I am not quoting anyone in particular): even if you try to take a shot with two different cameras one right after the other, the sun may have gone behind a cloud for one of the shots, the angle of the shot may be slightly different and affect the shadows, etc. etc. But we still get the outdoor shots and those don't necessarily tell you anything either.

D70FAN
08-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Very true, but you could argue in the same way about outdoor shots as well. I see people constantly bickering about that in some other threads (other sites actually). They say things like (and I am not quoting anyone in particular): even if you try to take a shot with two different cameras one right after the other, the sun may have gone behind a cloud for one of the shots, the angle of the shot may be slightly different and affect the shadows, etc. etc. But we still get the outdoor shots and those don't necessarily tell you anything either.

Outdoor shots, typically allow you to crank down the ISO and reduce the aperture for greater clarity and DOF (or not) many options in daylight. Cloudy or sunny. Indoor shots allow very little range and any little difference will affect the quality of the picture.

Since Jeff gives a very accurate picture of indoor perfomance in his prose, this is a non-issue.

Ben Miller
08-31-2004, 08:15 PM
Very true, but you could argue in the same way about outdoor shots as well.
Yeah, George said what I wanted to say. Outdoor pics are easy and give the camera lots of latitude. The indoor ones are much more likely to hit the camera's "break point," where quality starts to visibly deteriorate.

Anyway, you and I are both asking for basically the same thing. Yes, Jeff's reviews give a huge amount of information in an amazing short space, but I still can't help wanting to get my hands on some actual pics to do my own comparison. That's the ideal review, in my opinion: Enough raw data for me to make up my own mind, accompanied with the reaction of an experienced pro.

D70FAN
09-01-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm sure that the average consumer would really appreciate that one shot in your home and I don't think they are looking for a studio portrait. PixChick :)

As would the Greater Bay Area Burglers Association. Maybe use the "Fantasia Macro Mickey" flanked by the silver service, and camera collection, on the dining room table.

Seriously, you could mix business and pleasure by taking indoor pictures at the local pub. Always a constant low-light area, with lots of objects...

...AND refreshments.

Good thing I'm not running this site.

PixChick
09-01-2004, 08:46 PM
As would the Greater Bay Area Burglers Association. Maybe use the "Fantasia Macro Mickey" flanked by the silver service, and camera collection, on the dining room table.

LOL! The pub sounds like a much better place...