PDA

View Full Version : R I P Microdrive

Manstein
04-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Well its come at last my 340mb microdrive has expired after 4 years. A high pitched whining noise from the camera and that was it, mercifully at home not on some project or other. I heard the 340mb version was prone to an early demise, luckily it was a gift so it hasn't hit me in the pocket.

Anybody else had a microdrive die on them if so what were the symptoms?

Rhys
04-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Well its come at last my 340mb microdrive has expired after 4 years. A high pitched whining noise from the camera and that was it, mercifully at home not on some project or other. I heard the 340mb version was prone to an early demise, luckily it was a gift so it hasn't hit me in the pocket.

Anybody else had a microdrive die on them if so what were the symptoms?

Jeff has had two die on him as far as I can recall.

Personally, I'd stick with standard CF cards as they have no moving parts. Plus a 256mb CF card is now dirt cheap and 4GB cards are available.

Manstein
04-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Agreed on the CF cards Rhys. It came as a free add on with a Fuji camera my brother bought. It's been nursed for 4 years, never been dropped etc. Too complicated compared to flash memory.

Rhys
04-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Agreed on the CF cards Rhys. It came as a free add on with a Fuji camera my brother bought. It's been nursed for 4 years, never been dropped etc. Too complicated compared to flash memory.

4 years is good for something like that, in my opinion. My opinion also is that bigger hard drives (from PCs) need to be changed at least every 7 years and preferably every 5.