PDA

View Full Version : Fairly new Z3 owner, having some problems..

jonjonbear
04-11-2005, 06:08 AM
Hello group..
I recently bought the Z3 and for the most part have been pretty happy with it..Have noticed on two occasions recently something I can't tell if I am doing something wrong or if the camera has a problem. Both events were in pretty large rooms, but not all subjects were really far away..With the camera on "auto" and the flash on normal, most of the pictures look as if the flash was not even on but it was indeed working..I got the camera home and tried some different things in my home and I could focus the camera on an object, take a picture, the flash would flash but the picture would be dark. Second shot of the same subject, everything the same and the picture was nicely lit. I can't imagine how the pictures could come out dark with the flash working unless the flash isn't firing all the time at the correct time. Has anyone else had this problem?
Also, I noticed there are three add on flashes for this camera and reading the specs, it seems they are really designed for Maxxums but work on the Dimage Z series. They all have illuminated AF light, will this feature work on the Z3 or is it dependant only on other cameras which have the feature? On the first problem this was very frustrating as I was asked to take pictures for a work function and most of the pictures turned out dark..But before sending it off wanted to make sure it's not something I am doing wrong.

Thanks so much!
John

John_Reed
04-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Hello group..
I recently bought the Z3 and for the most part have been pretty happy with it..Have noticed on two occasions recently something I can't tell if I am doing something wrong or if the camera has a problem. Both events were in pretty large rooms, but not all subjects were really far away..With the camera on "auto" and the flash on normal, most of the pictures look as if the flash was not even on but it was indeed working..I got the camera home and tried some different things in my home and I could focus the camera on an object, take a picture, the flash would flash but the picture would be dark. Second shot of the same subject, everything the same and the picture was nicely lit. I can't imagine how the pictures could come out dark with the flash working unless the flash isn't firing all the time at the correct time. Has anyone else had this problem?
Also, I noticed there are three add on flashes for this camera and reading the specs, it seems they are really designed for Maxxums but work on the Dimage Z series. They all have illuminated AF light, will this feature work on the Z3 or is it dependant only on other cameras which have the feature? On the first problem this was very frustrating as I was asked to take pictures for a work function and most of the pictures turned out dark..But before sending it off wanted to make sure it's not something I am doing wrong.

Thanks so much!
JohnI don't know if the Z3 works this way, but maybe my experience with my FZ15 parallels yours. I noticed that the flash is kind of "focused," in that it throws enough light to illuminate something at the distance of the subject. So, I was shooting a group in a room with a singing group at the other end, and when I focused on some nearby people, the singing group was dimly lit. Then, I tried focusing on the singing group, and voila! - they were well lit. See if your problem doesn't stem from your choice of subject distance? Just a thought.

jonjonbear
04-12-2005, 05:47 AM
Hi John and thanks,
I had thought of that too, that is why I tried it at home, with the camera focused and such at the same subject and got different results. Very odd, as I took the pictures with "both eyes open" and the flash fires every time but yet some of the pictures look as if the flash is turned off..I wonder if whatever controls the distance of the flash could be not working properly...Can't tell by the flash in the room any difference between the flash that works and the one that doesn't. They seem to have the same intensity..Gonna try some more testing to see if I can figure out anything more..Am hoping someone here might have a Z3 with the external flash..Would love to hear how it works with that..
Thanks!
John

John_Reed
04-12-2005, 06:58 AM
Make sure you understand how the internal flash works, along with its limitations. For example, are you aware that the flash range is limited somewhat, and changes with focal length? Here're the numbers Jeff Keller posted in his Z3 review: "The flash has a working range of 0.2 - 4.0 m at wide-angle and 1.2 - 2.5 m at telephoto." Are you working within these ranges?

Another issue may be that somewhere on the front of the camera, with the flash popped up, there just may be a flash sensor, a little photo diode that measures reflected light from the flash emission, and quenches the flash to control distance. I didn't see one mentioned in the review, but it's still possible there's one there. Maybe the little light near the grip (Self-Timer Lamp) also doubles as a flash sensor. If so, it looks like it would be easy to hide it with your fingers as you shoot. Look closely over the front of the camera for any kind of flash sensor, and if there is one, make sure you're not blocking it as you shoot.

Lastly, if you're using any kind of lens hood, though I don't know how one would fasten to this camera, take it off, along with any filters.

That's my two cents. Hope you figure it out. :o

jonjonbear
04-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Hi John..
That's a good thought..I will look, then pay close attention to how I hold the camera..That could be a possibility..Some of the pictures were a bit out of range, but even so it usually will light up some..But these look as it the flash was off..Some of the low exposure pictures were with subjects less than 10' away..Very wierd..The last even I used it at, all most every picture was under exposed yet when I tried it at home, I could flash photo all the way across the room....So it may be a good point to check for a sensor..Could very well be my fat fingers in the way..I do generally use both hands to steady the cam..I may need an ext. flash for getting farther away..I have discovered with the super zoom I tend to get further back..I notice some of the ext flashes which fit this camera give great distance..
Thanks again!
John