PDA

View Full Version : A Clear Night in Manhattan (for a change)

JTL
04-11-2005, 12:30 AM
Taken from my terrace. 57th St., looking North...

Canon SD500, f/2.8, 10 sec. exposure, with a .5 wide-angle converter (and cropped)...hence the softness and slight vignetting near the top-left (and barrel distortion...also, I probably should have exposed it just a little less...I had no time to take multiple shots...maybe next week...)

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/19399922-L.jpg

Bluedog
04-11-2005, 05:45 AM
Out of curiosity in a situation as such whats a better choice, would a higher f-stop (smaller opening) have given better clarity? ... nice image too.

kornhauser
04-11-2005, 06:05 AM
Out of curiosity in a situation as such whats a better choice, would a higher f-stop have given better clarity? ... nice image too.

Wonderful picture, but I agree. A higher f-stop would have created more depth. Though sometimes it is difficult when you only get a limited number of shots. :rolleyes:

speaklightly
04-11-2005, 08:50 AM
I believe the higher F stop would have helped. The other question I had was this: was a tripod used, or was the camera placed on a ledge or out cropping.

I usually take multiple shots to assure myself of a selectable photo. However, I can appreciate the circumstances in this case. All in all a nice photo given the conditions.

Sarah Joyce

JTL
04-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks Bluedog, Kornhauser and Sarah...

It seems like time and weather have been conspiring to keep me from setting aside time just to take some shots with the new camera (ah, Spring..). As far as the f/stop goes...great advice! I should have known better. But remember...I can't set the f/stop directly with the SD500...I have to "trick" the camera into using different apertures...hard to do without time to think about it.

I did use a tripod, but had little time to really set-up optimally...I had one foot out the door.

Better pics to come...

Thanks again!

Norm in Fujino
04-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Taken from my terrace. 57th St., looking North...

Canon SD500, f/2.8, 10 sec. exposure, with a .5 wide-angle converter (and cropped)...hence the softness and slight vignetting near the top-left (and barrel distortion...also, I probably should have exposed it just a little less...I had no time to take multiple shots...maybe next week...)

This is definitely a view that deserves some more experimentation. You're right about the exposure and the side-effects of the wide-angle lens; the top softening is really fatal, and the over exposure makes the building at right look like a flaming candle. But the rest of it is beautiful. One problem will be lowering the contrast between that bright building and the rest. I'd try lowering the in-camera contrast setting, and possible use a ND filter as well, although the exposure will obviously change as a result. Try a smaller f-stop and see if that helps the edge softening. Like I said, it's a scene that deserves some experimentation. I'd like to see the results of some other settings (and if the edge softening won't go away, lose the wide-angle lens.)

JTL
04-11-2005, 04:58 PM
I'd like to see the results of some other settings (and if the edge softening won't go away, lose the wide-angle lens.)Thanks Norm! You've got a really good point. The "scene" is not going to go anywhere, so I have a great opportunity to retake some shots with more care...at various settings and compare the results. BTW, I love your new shots with your new camera!

Thanks again...

D70FAN
04-11-2005, 05:45 PM
This is definitely a view that deserves some more experimentation. You're right about the exposure and the side-effects of the wide-angle lens; the top softening is really fatal, and the over exposure makes the building at right look like a flaming candle. But the rest of it is beautiful. One problem will be lowering the contrast between that bright building and the rest. I'd try lowering the in-camera contrast setting, and possible use a ND filter as well, although the exposure will obviously change as a result. Try a smaller f-stop and see if that helps the edge softening. Like I said, it's a scene that deserves some experimentation. I'd like to see the results of some other settings (and if the edge softening won't go away, lose the wide-angle lens.)

Norm, how about a shot of Tokyo looking north-east from Roppongi Tower? I have a few daytime shots (taken with my 990), but a night shot would be really cool, as would Tokyo station. I was never in condition to shoot at night (after diner and karaoke). :D And it would give you a good excuse to go to Roppongi at night. ;)

Norm in Fujino
04-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Norm, how about a shot of Tokyo looking north-east from Roppongi Tower? I have a few daytime shots (taken with my 990), but a night shot would be really cool, as would Tokyo station. I was never in condition to shoot at night (after diner and karaoke). :D And it would give you a good excuse to go to Roppongi at night. ;)

I usually try to avoid those touristy spots ;) , but it would be interesting to do some time when I'm physically in Tokyo at night. Actually, I'm already planning on doing an evening panorama of the valley where I live, just have to figure out how to stitch.