PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle Finally meets Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle
04-10-2005, 05:41 PM
You know, with a handle like B.E. You'd figure i had a lot of Bald Eagle shots. This is the first one I've been able to capture on film. My wife and son(who have their own cameras) have had to walk with me while i have searched high and low. Ironically, my wife spotted it in a tree. here are some Shots, hope you like. Thank you Dear. :)

Norm in Fujino
04-10-2005, 07:09 PM
You know, with a handle like B.E. You'd figure i had a lot of Bald Eagle shots. This is the first one I've been able to capture on film. My wife and son(who have their own cameras) have had to walk with me while i have searched high and low. Ironically, my wife spotted it in a tree. here are some Shots, hope you like. Thank you Dear. :)

Nice chance captures. If I might make a suggestion, they're pretty small on the screen--on landscape orientation shots I'd make them about 700pixels wide. If you cropped them from larger photos I can understand your wish not to have excessive grain showing, but they do look kind of small.
Also, it seems you've punched up the contrast quite a bit on all of them, making them look unnaturally harsh. The last one in particular has lost detail both in the white head and the darkest feathers. If that's a result of in-camera settings, I'd dial them down. And if you did it in post-processing, ditto, hold off a bit to get more detail there. Again, just guessing here, but it might have resulted from cropping and emphasizing a small part of a larger photo that wouldn't have looked so contrasty in its original form.
Nice to have magnificent birds like that nearby, isn't it?

speaklightly
04-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Bald Eagle-

Nice shots. I really would like to see then in greater resolution.

Sarah Joyce

Bald Eagle
04-10-2005, 07:57 PM
I agree, i would like to have better resolution and detail as well. here is an original untouched photo from the camera. let me know what i could have done to enhance this pic better, thanks.

Norm in Fujino
04-10-2005, 08:05 PM
I agree, i would like to have better resolution and detail as well. here is an original untouched photo from the camera. let me know what i could have done to enhance this pic better, thanks.

Well, first off there's no exif data for it, so it's impossible to know what the conditions were; did you downsize it to 640 pixels? If this were the actual original photo from the camera, I'd say you had your quality setting set far too low; also, it depends on what kind of camera you 've got, (there's simply a limit to what you can do without a long telephoto, for example).

D70FAN
04-10-2005, 08:19 PM

BE... ya need a longer lens. Your crops are pretty extreme, although sort-of livable. I've had the same problem on past bird shots, where I would have been ok with 300mm but only had 125. ;)

A good shot of a good spot. One BE to another in this case.

Keep on tryin'.

Bald Eagle
04-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Here is some of the info, sorry i didnt post it sooner, I am using a Canon EOS D60 with a 100/300 Telephoto lens at ISO of 100 on Landscape mode at max zoom on tripod with a remote shutter release cable . 1/250 at 6.7 with AWB. quality of Large. I simply couldnt get close enough. suggestions please. :)

Norm in Fujino
04-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Here is some of the info, sorry i didnt post it sooner, I am using a Canon EOS D60 with a 100/300 Telephoto lens at ISO of 100 on Landscape mode at max zoom on tripod with a remote shutter release cable . 1/250 at 6.7 with AWB. quality of Large. I simply couldnt get close enough. suggestions please. :)

Get closer. :D
. . .or a larger lens (or a 2x conversion lens), or try getting into a position where the bird wasn't hidden behind branches so you could make the smaller bird part of a larger landscape composition. In the end, there are some shots that we just have to bite our tongues and pass by because the conditions aren't right. You give it your best and that's all anyone can do.

Bald Eagle
04-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks, i am definitely looking at getting a stronger zoom lens, and finding ways to get closer. Again thanks for the help. :)