PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from Chrisfish

Chrisfish
04-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Some pictures taken by Chrisfish

Chrisfish
04-09-2005, 11:28 AM
the final five..

Thanks to digideb and norm in fujino. I think that these pictures are going to work now, or at least I hope so!

Although, Norm, I am not looking for praise but for some advice. I know that tons of people drop by this type of forum to ask what they should get and then probably leave. So, I decided to post some of the pictures that I have taken recently to show what Im interested in, hoping to get some advice on them.

All of these images were taken in Mexico and Miami about two months ago with a Canon S1 IS. I recently sold that camera and am looking for another one. I want my camera to be good at taking shots of wildlife, nature, architecture as well as people and still life. I am torn between the digital rebel xt and the coolpix 8800. If you have any advice as to which camera and lense (s) to go for it would be really appreciated.

Thanks for looking and reading!

Chrisfish

Digideb
04-09-2005, 11:44 AM
do people comment on pictures of jr. members as well?

do my links not work?
Hi Chrisfish, I think there might be a problem with your pic connection. I just clicked on 2 of them & got "page cannot be displayed". That's probably why no one has commented.
Try not to get discouraged, though. It took me a long time to figure out how to post pix, but this site seems more pic friendly than many forums. Have you tried to post just one pic directly to this Gallery without an outside link? I've been able to take a pic from My Pictures & downsize it enough with "Paint" to upload here. It needs to be no bigger than about 117 KB to post here. (I think).
Good luck with it. I was hoping to see your Tulum pic. I've been there, too. :)

Norm in Fujino
04-09-2005, 11:48 AM
do people comment on pictures of jr. members as well?

First off, I know it hurts, but there is no obligation for anyone to comment on anyone else's photographs here, no matter whether senior or junior. No one feels up to commenting all the time, and some people none of the time; I've uploaded quite a number of photos to forums that just died in their sleep, totally uncommented upon. A humbling experience :o

do my links not work?

Not for me they don't. Yahoo often doesn't like this kind of outside access.

Digideb
04-09-2005, 12:19 PM
First off, I know it hurts, but there is no obligation for anyone to comment on anyone else's photographs here, no matter whether senior or junior. No one feels up to commenting all the time, and some people none of the time; I've uploaded quite a number of photos to forums that just died in their sleep, totally uncommented upon. A humbling experience :o

Not for me they don't. Yahoo often doesn't like this kind of outside access.
Now,now, Norm. :) Let's not discourage the new members. Most every pic you've posted has been great & there's been many times where I've said, "Wow!" to your pix & others, but didn't have time to comment.
I try to be more "forgiving" & welcoming to the new members to help get them started. By the way(to the newbies), I'm a "Senior Member" because of my posts here, not my camera experience. I feel I'm still just a newbie photographer, with alot to learn. ;)

Norm in Fujino
04-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Now,now, Norm. :) Let's not discourage the new members.

Sorry if it sounded that way, Deb, I didn't mean to be discouraging, only realistic. I've seen a number of "sour grapes" comments on other boards where someone has asked a question, and then complained when they didn't get a response, as though they deserved more attention. No one gets paid for participating here, so we have to accept that visions differ as to what is relevant enough to get a response. It just happens.

Most every pic you've posted has been great & there's been many times where I've said, "Wow!" to your pix & others, but didn't have time to comment.
Thanks, and I know what you mean, since I've done the same thing numerous times--I just don't think people should complain when their photos (or questions) don't bring immediate praise or response. Just keep pluggin' along ;)

I feel I'm still just a newbie photographer, with alot to learn. ;)

Same here; I feel privileged to learn something new from people here every day.

Digideb
04-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Yeah, Norm, I'm sure you didn't mean to sound too gruff. :) Sometimes, I get impatient with some people on here,also, but I try to remember what it was like when I was new on this forum. Sort of like trying to make friends in a new school. ;)

Chrisfish
04-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Thank you Digideb for your help!

I did exactly what you said and (I think) these pictures can be seen by others as well. Thanks to Norm for his useful comments as well.

Chrisfish

kornhauser
04-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Went to the ruins in Mexico many years ago. That picture brings back memories. Well done.

Norm in Fujino
04-09-2005, 08:05 PM
the final five..

Now the links work. Very nice shots, I especially like the ibis and the pyramid ruins. You've blown the highlights on a couple of shots, like the iguana picture, where the nose and the cut-off branch stub are blocked out and w/o detail. The entire picture has lost contrast and looks a little washed out because of the overexposure--you were probably exposing for the more shadowy areas. And the toucon shot is very difficult against the bright sky. Numerous spots of chromatic aberration (purple fringing) along the branches. It's almost impossible to avoid with a prosumer digicam, so it pays to avoid shots that have lots of lines of high contrast like that. Good work!

D70FAN
04-09-2005, 08:36 PM
the final five..

Thanks to digideb and norm in fujino. I think that these pictures are going to work now, or at least I hope so!

Although, Norm, I am not looking for praise but for some advice. I know that tons of people drop by this type of forum to ask what they should get and then probably leave. So, I decided to post some of the pictures that I have taken recently to show what Im interested in, hoping to get some advice on them.

All of these images were taken in Mexico and Miami about two months ago with a Canon S1 IS. I recently sold that camera and am looking for another one. I want my camera to be good at taking shots of wildlife, nature, architecture as well as people and still life. I am torn between the digital rebel xt and the coolpix 8800. If you have any advice as to which camera and lense (s) to go for it would be really appreciated.

Thanks for looking and reading!

Chrisfish

The Ibis and Mangroves shots are very nice. Why the XT? Why not the D70 or the *ist DS? Just curious.

I shoot a D70 with 18-125 Sigma. Works for me. Here are some pictures with this combo:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Most of the pictures here use the Sigma lens. It has it's limitations, but a nice range for $270.

EAP
04-09-2005, 09:24 PM
I loved your pix, Chris. Especially enjoyed the Osprey and the heron. I can't give you any advice on a new camera...although most people over on the "What camera should I buy" thread seem to love the Rebel.

gary_hendricks
04-09-2005, 09:38 PM
I *love* the Nice Sunset 1.JPG, it is my favorite out of all of your photos posted here, so mesmerizing.... Good job!

Chrisfish
04-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Hi all.

Thanks for all the responses to the pics.

kornhauser. Tulum was certainly a photogenic setting, at least before the crowds! Did you get out to Chichaniza or any of the other ruins? Tulums ruins kind of pale in comparison, but they have an unbeatable setting!

Norm, yea I guess I tried to do the best with what I had! And now Im really thinking about making the jump to the world of Slrs. The toucans were really cool. There were actually three of them but they kept moving, so I was pretty happy with what I got, but would have gotten better results with a longer zoom and higher mps 4 editing. Thanks.

Hi George. Well, right now Im camera-less and am considering everything I guess. Im looking for an 8mp camera so that rules out the Nikon. Never considered models outside Canon and Nikon actually. But I will look into them. Looked at your pics, lots of cool ones! I want to go to China too! Lived in Japan for a year and a half, should post pics of that when I get a chance.

Eap: thanks, and yeah the digireb looks like the popular choice for sure!

Gary, thanks man. took that pic after an amazing evening of bird watching in Sian Kaan, this amazing national park in Mexico!

peace.

Chrisfish

speaklightly
04-10-2005, 06:24 AM
Chrisfish-

A great shot of the ruins there.

Sarah Joyce

Chrisfish
04-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks Sarah!

Chrisfish